Quick phrases for guest reviews - Cleanliness

Answered!

Quick phrases for guest reviews - Cleanliness

Fellow hosts - I struggle with writing an effective phrase for guest reviews that indicate that they were dirtier than normal.  

You know, the guest who leaves soap and shampoo all over the bathtub, huge globs of toothpaste in the sink or makeup smears on the counter, hair everywhere, extra garbage to pick up, the hair dryer, iron and ironing board left for the host to put away, sheets or towels that had stains to be treated but weren't ruined (a skidmark or makeup), and maybe missed the toilet a little or left you some extra cleaning to do in the bowl.  Stuff that can be taken care of but will cost you an extra half hour or hour of cleaning to get it all sorted.  

Do you have a short, effective sentence that you use in a guest's review that indicates that they were a little dirtier than normal?  

1 Best Answer
Nicole2065
Level 2
San Diego, CA

I saw a guest's review a while back, but I always kept it in my mind in case I have to use it.   And my last guest I am going to use it.    "L and her guest may be better suited for a hotel."   

View Best Answer in original post

85 Replies 85

@Lina0

What I noticed... with me... in the moment you are offended by the disrespect to your home.  That is emotional and personal.  When you have shared your personal space and you are a personally-attentive host, it's personal, and I think in time we will learn to perhaps charge a little more and distance ourselves just a bit from the inevitable hits to our properties.  In the meantime, I offer help to make sure your feedback is not lost.  I want to create a TEMPLATE for myself, so that in the moment, when I am upset/offended, I don't overdo it.

I understand how you feel because it took me about two weeks to get over the dog being left in my place with a big juicy meaty wet bone on my bedroom carpet where unsuspecting guests would be stepping with their clean bare feet.  Right?  I saw it, so I know.  At least I saw the bone and now I know why my dog is sniffing sniffing sniffing in that area.  At least I know it is not dog pee! 🙂  And I can shampoo or replace the carpet, and think about a policy of shoes off inside with my new carpet, and ask more questions about the plans, in advance, for dogs.  I will now confirm the plan for the pup the entire duration of the stay.  Trust, but verify...

In the moment, we react, so to be professional, we have to have a plan --and each other!!

Thanks for posting, and I'm very grateful if I could help.

Beth44
Level 10
Flagstaff, AZ

Writing reviews can be tricky and having attended all 3 international Airbnb gatherings I keep asking for a session on tactful review writing. It is not an uncommon conversation among hosts to express anxiety about getting and giving reviews and I try to follow a "be kind" and dont pass on a problem guests without tactful forewarning. That said, I have practiced how to write a tactful review and give my words thought (not posting an knee-jerk response when a guest leaves). I had a guest who hid anything with an aroma (cleaning products, candles, fresh grown lavendar) not only in different rooms but also in the outside patio. I had to search for items. Guest left a 3 page letter suggesting eco-friendly cleaning products, some of which I actually used, Here is an example. So to paraphrase I wrote something like, " Sometimes you learn from guests and from X guest, I learned that some people have sensitivities to aroma that make their stay a challenge."

I bet there are a bunch of great examples that hosts have used that could act as a template for different situations.

Lauren176
Level 2
Wingham, Australia

Hi and thank you everyone for your comments

This is the first time I have felt compelled to try to find some help with writing a review. We just had a family of 4 stay for 2 nights and after they left I feel like I want to both write a bad review and not have kids stay. We are on a farm with a seperate 4 bedroom house which I charge for by the person per night.  These people managed to use all 5 beds ( costing more time and cleaning costs) take everything from the fridge and pantry, which I put there for their convenience i.e. spreads etc. We say in our welcome letter that children must be supervised at all times outside the farmstay area. I was horrified to find the chook bin nearly empty and left out in the rain the following day. The house was quite dirty for only 2 nights whilst it wasn't a disaster I wouldnt want them back, how do I review them? when giving a thumbs down do they see this?  and if letting Air and B know if private comment are they informed? love to hear your feedback Cheer

Lauren, sorry to hear your farmnouse was disrespected by this family.  A very delicate situation to give the proper feedback so others will benefit from your review, even if this family does not...  I have been working on a post of "code" words I think us hosts need--words and expressions that convey reality without being so harsh that guests ghost out of their profile and just create another one to shed the negative impact of their behavior.

First, I don't think the private feedback to AirBnb is going to be meaningful unless something VERY serious happened that AirBnb needs to take action on.  Private feedback to the guest might be helpful along with a more generic public review (maybe with a few code words), if you think they would take it to heart.  But your goal (I believe) is to spare

Regarding kids, people are SO sensitive about criticism of their children (and of course, it's not, it's feedback on their supervision).  Early entries to my code list:

"Independent" = people who don't communicate their plans and cause you stress by their lack of openness

"Would have been happier in a hotel" = means not able to accommodate the idiosyncracies of a private home where all amenities are not commercial-grade

"Hungry" = people who eat/take all the convenience condiments

"Not familiar with energy conservation" = people who leave the A/C or heat running nonstop when not necessary, use extra towels, sheets, beds just to "use" everything to get their money's worth

"Felt like a larger group had stayed" = place looked ravaged by a raging party

It's hard to find a nice way to describe disrespect...  "This was our first time allowing children to our property, so we were unprepared for the heavy utilization of our farmhouse amenities, supplies and consumables during this family stay!  They must have been hungry!  Perhaps this family is living in a region where energy conservation is not commonly practiced.  We know it's hard for parents to keep an eye on children so have considered to no longer allow children at our property."  Not rude (or is it?), but pretty clear to future hosts this group was not considerate nor looking to return.  I don't know. 

What's a chook bin?

Thank you so much Emily that is really helpful and love your way of letting guests know with key words. You made me laugh a chook is a chicken ( very Aussie ) again thank you 

Emily yes key hidden phrases are a great internal idea. Heres a couple I have used:

"a lit-up kinda guy"-high energy, just high, boorish, loud, even vulgar.

"the most interesting person I never met"- the guest who keep bringing up issues about amenities in never mentioned as offered& then would not answer the door

AWESOME! So great to read your extremely well-worded write up to help this host (who had that family leaving her place a bit of a wreck) --- thank you! Very helpful to us, also!

I was wondering if "good guest" was code for a bad guest.  I just had someone request to book and there were some red flags.  When I read her reviews I have never seen so many "good guest" (those two words only) reviews as well as a couple "great guest" (again

only those two words) and something like "nice gal but several challenges" and one that said she was with "her father" (their quotes).  Plus she lives in the neighboring city.  Just didn't feel right to me.  It seems like "good guest" is what you might say when you have nothing nice to say but don't want to leave a bad review.

@Chris382   When I see those kind of generic reviews, I look at the host profile who left the review. More often than not, you will find that the host is an off-site host, a property manager with tons of listings, etc. They may never, in fact, meet the guests, and as long as the cleaners don't report any damages or a horrid party mess, the host just gives out these generic reviews to all the guests.

I think it pays to cross-reference the reviews like this if the review really doesn't tell you much. 

Terri38
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Independent = not communicating?   Oh!  I use that word to describe guests who have carefully researched the area and can think for themselves eg not constantly asking things like "What can I do in the city?"

Love your "Hungry" though!!

@Emily140

This could get confusing.

Independent means the exact opposite to me, it is people who have done their research, read the description and amenities, and respect the rules, have communicated well and in a timely manner, haven't asked for exceptions to rules and don't expect a guide, a concierge, a daily maid.

@Lauren176I forgot to add, start off with something that was positive so they will not just put their guard up immediately.  Hopefully there WAS something positive.  Or at a minimum, "This family was very independent and self-managing during their stay; however...."

A little snarky but you could has I have animals but just did not think I would be hosting " the wild side"

@Lauren176Maybe the public review just needs to say, "This proved to be a challenging hosting experience.  With the unusual re-stocking and cleanup required at our farmhouse and property, we are considering not to allow children at our farm in the future.  Detailed feedback was provided privately.."  (Private feedback would include "Thank you for choosing our property, however we are not sure it was a good fit for your family:  we were surprised the chook bin was left open, and that all consumable supplies were used or removed, as this made your stay very costly for us as hosts.  We will be more careful in the future to discuss specific expectations in advance.  Like most hosts, we provide consumable supplies for convenience with the expectation that excessive use would be replaced.  As we charge per person, we expect only that number of beds to be used due to the cost/energy/water required to prepare the linens."  The public review would be enough to put future hosts on guard to ask specific questions pertinent to their situation before accepting this family.  Although reading back over it, what I just wrote for "private feedback" might work publicly too.  When you take responsibility for "not discussing expectations in advance" it diffuses resentment, but tells future hosts THIS IS A HIGH-MAINTENANCE GROUP requiring everything spelled out that respectful guests would not require.  You'll give a thumbs down on recommending this guest, a low score on cleanliness and a low score on observance of house rules.  Chook bin open = chickens running wild, no good!  Not consistent with house rules. 

Of course, remember, there's always a good fit somewhere for every guest.  My hillside cabin for example is small, vintage (old!), charming and excessive wear & tear would not be welcome one bit.  Repairs are challenging here.  But there are hardier properties nearby for lower rates with more space and less sensitive structures/gardens where kids could run wild and there's probably a cleaning service that would hardly notice the difference inside--and maybe these propeties are not stocked with condiments/supplies as you and I do.

One other thing to consider is to charge for a 5th person since a 5th bed was used.  You can still ask for that.  Consider also a security deposit and add to your house rules "We charge per person for the cleaning work/water/energy used in preparing linens.  If guests choose to sleep in multiple beds during their stay, the extra person charge will be incurred and retained from the security deposit."  MAYBE a particular bed is softer or harder and a guest moves to be more comfortable and discusses it with you, no problem, but just using everything to "get their money's worth" is unwelcome.

In my property, I have chosen to have a security deposit but I do NOT charge a cleaning fee; it's a philosophical choice.  I am looking for guests who leave it as they found it (OK, not expected to scrub toilet/bath/sink/kitchen/floors nor sanitize doorknobs and other surfaces, nor dust/vacuum, but otherwise pick up and tidy up after themselves to maintain a pleasant environment.)  I remember staying at a hotel once with a cousin who left a tornado behind her, lipstick all over the towels, trash on the floor, etc. and when I was mortified, she said, "They have housekeeping!"  My philosophy is a cleaning fee suggests a cleaning person (other than me) and invites abusing that person by guests who feel entitled...  So I prefer to create awareness that the host is indeed the cleaning person, and they are leaving me a burden if they leave a mess.  If they disrespect the place, they disrespect me.  I am not a hotel operator; this is my home.  So far, only one guest has truly been disrespectful and created a cleaning burden (the fatty juicy meat bone on my bedroom carpet--Amazon order for a spot carpet cleaner--US$130--on its way.)

I have also considered to write up a page for my house binder "How to check out:" 

1.  Rinse dirty dishes and leave in the sink (I prefer this to putting away poorly-washed dishes for me to hunt down--and could invite pests...).

2.  Hang used towels to dry or place in hamper. 

3.  Fold back top sheet and comforter to air out mattress (I want guests to see if they have stained my sheets)

4.  Turn off A/C, heat and ceiling fan (for energy conservation).

5.  Place trash in BROWN bin at the street, recycling in BLUE bin (I provide trash bags and a recycling bag inside). 

6.  Replace door key in desk drawer. 

7.  Please leave door closed (to deter my cat and other unwanted critters).

THANK YOU. 

Just so it's clear... as AirBnb does not have a standard messaging to the guest on this.  The more clear our expectations are outlined, the less stress for the considerate guest.

Hi Emily

Thank you so much this is very helpful as I struggle with the wording but what you have written is really good. I dont charge a cleaning fee it is built in but we are on a farm on tank water so the more linen to wash the harder on water it is especially in dry times. Luckily 99% of our guests are just wonderful and abide by the house rules. The idea of charging the deposit is a good one and as you say I could then charge them for the extra beds and linen they chose to use. 

I read from someone else to wait till the 14th day to write the review so they dont have a chance to review us which they haven't bothered to do which is also a first for us. I do have superhost status and usually get rave reviews from guests but from the start when there was no feedback from welcome emails etc then just a line in caps asking for late check out I didnt feel comfortable with these guests.

I can lock of the doors to the rooms that arent being used, I havent done this in the past as I like guests to feel they can choose which room they would like to stay in do you think it would be advisable to do this? 

Again thank you for your feedback and taking the time to help others.