The first guest never gets forgotten

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

The first guest never gets forgotten

The first guest never gets forgotten.jpg

Hello everyone,

Do you remember your first guest? The moment they stepped into your home, the first opportunity to show your ability as a host – all of this marks the moment you officially became a host.

What do you remember of that day? What were your emotions that day? Any tips for new hosts before hosting their first guest?

Looking forward to hearing your stories!

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

71 Replies 71
Deborah82
Level 10
Toodyay, Australia

Oh my goodness! Do I remember? Do I ever.
I was soooo nervous, and I was so sure that they (my guests were a young couple getting away from the children for a night or two) would be horrified by my place and would demand their money back.

Thankfully that never happened. They raved about the place and told me that I should be charging two hundred and fifty dollars a night, not seventy-five!

They were so lovely that first couple. Yes, I will always remember them.

Loving the Airbnb community and it’s diversity❣️
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

My first booking on Airbnb was two professional and creative women, having an annual catch up. One an academic writer, the other an artist. The booking guest was also a superhost! 

Breathe... just breathe,  oh and keep doing it! Calm..... you can do this.... place spotless, good to go! 

They were lovely, relaxed and very happy with the space. 

I got some good and interesting tips to set me on my way, so I feel blessed and thankful with my augural guests.

🙂

Cathie

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

Oh my goodness how I have changed since my first guest! I had two main concerns when my first guests arrived.

First, how do I greet them? Do I stare out the window until they arrive and walk outside to meet them? Do I wait for them to ring the doorbell? This forum was great with advice for that!

Second, and this seems soooooo silly now, but I was super paranoid that guests were just going to steal my stuff! I installed a lock on my bedroom door and kept it locked whenever I was out, and also at night. It really is weird to have strangers stay at your home for the first time. I'm so much more relaxed and laid back now. The only time I lock my bedroom door is if I have guests checking in when I will not be home.

My first guests were amazing and they left me a great review! I couldn't have asked for better "first" guests.

For new hosts (and I'm pretty new myself as I've only been hosting since May) I would say just know that most people are decent people.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

My first guest was a really friendly, open person who put me at ease right from the moment I picked her up at the local bus stop. I actually wasn't nervous at all (probably because I wasn't aware of this CC then, so had no idea about bad reviews, guests breaking rules, being rude or demanding, trashing places, etc.), but she made everything feel easy. One of the first things she said after we arrived at my house and showed her to her room was "You didn't have any reviews!"  I said "That's cause I just listed a few weeks ago and you're my first lucky guest!"  She was so much fun- about the 3rd day she was here I told her I was going to a town up the road for a beach day with some gal pals and asked if she'd like to come along. She did, and ended up entertaining everyone with her jolly spirit, her funny stories and her general happy attitude.

She was a single mom with a teenage son who she showed me photos of, talked about a lot, and Whatsapped every night. The night before she left we went out to dinner together and she said (I didn't prompt this in any way), she was going to make sure to give me a great review, since it would be my first one. And she sure did. 

Great first guest experience, and many more since.

Reconnect the hosting wires. Many years later. Memories take shape. There is always a first drop of memory on which all subsequent memories are based.

The first guest never gets forgotten, even if you want to. You can almost hear the clack of your personal Memory Recorder being started: memory is the map of the heart.

I see myself again. A student who for the first time in her life took note of the world, crossing it, while the world did not notice her.

I still remember the first guest. I remember everything about that day. It seems like yesterday. I see the leaves dry out and fall, pushed by the November wind, the bare branches and a heavy rain on everything.

Fears and sighs. I hear them all. Whatever I did I could not find peace. I was just way too excited. The excitement of not knowing in advance what awaited me. This waiting was an exercise of faith. I was there, but not quite there, and the part of me that was there wanted to be somewhere else.

The doorbell rings. I open the metal gate. He’s right there. His body in front of mine. My body in front of his, waiting for the void to fill.

He looks familiar and alien at the same time. Backpack from which a small ax emerges from a pocket. A shiver runs down my spine. I image the headlines: "A young girl has been found ripped apart in her house in Milan". Two dirty boots. He’s five-seven, muscular, thin, with a sharp face, unshaven.

He’s a little bit shabby, with a black notebook in his hand with squared pages and rounded corners, betraying the real reason for his going. An object that perfectly  matched with his person, a Greek Bruce Chatwin, explorer of the city of Milan (with its customs and traditions), after Patagonia, Australia and half the world. Yeah, no adventure without a moleskine in hand.

But what makes really unique is a primitive woody pilgrim's stick, like a third leg, a traveler on his way to somewhere...

The small unexpected gestures of the first meeting to narrate the true identity of the host and the guest: a basket of fresh fruit on the living room table. He takes an orange. Well, my first surprise is that he rummage in his backpack. He pulls out from a luxurious red velvet bag first a Greek Orthodox prayer rosary, then a Swiss army knife.

He pulls out a specific blade designed specifically to remove the orange peel. That concentrate of miniaturized functionality – he told me a few days later – was for him a sort of Linus blanket from which he would never be separated until the end of his journey.

I no longer host tourists, but Grigoris and his medieval walking stick is the first drop of memory. Priceless and unforgettable. And even now, after all these years, a nameless longing grabs my heart.

What a lovely picture you paint, @Emily352.  Thankyou

@Emily352   Beautiful- I'm thinking you're a professional writer or poet.

Somehow I thought the story was going to end differently- that you and your first guest fell in love and rode off into the sunset together 🙂

@Sarah977

@Emily352 is very misterious. In my opinion, she's not a writer, but a painter, maybe a dancer. She paints and dances with the words.

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Hi @Lizzie , I remember very clearly as now my first guest and me still a very good friend, I Remember the first sound notice from a phone that I got the first booking. My emotions from the first time I host is really, really nervous like every new host. lucky he is a solo traveler and very nice so we have a lunch together. evening going very well and he also encouraged me to be not just a good host but a great host. Thanks to him now 1 year and a half and with more than 100 reviews. I still learning and make my self a great host. 

Any tips for new hosts before hosting their first guest?

I think your first 3 guests is very important not just because your stars review will appear but if you got a great guest they will encourage you to be a good host. You will found that hosting is must more than a money you got. Don't try to lower your price too much... don't open IB and choose the guest who polite and now that they going to stay in a house, not a hotel.

Good luck and happy hosting to you all.

Nutth  

Ruth326
Level 2
La Spezia, Italy

Just thinking about my first guests makes me smile!  I was nervous but they were so friendly.  Of course, as luck would have it, the sister forgot/lost her phone on the train and I was actually able to track it down and she got it back!  It put my hospitality skills to the test immediately and I got to know the entire family very well on our "recover the phone odyssey".  

Now, nearly 3 months later, I am a SuperHost and I am LOVING my new vacation rental business with Airbnb.

I totally agree with @Jessica0&Henry:  " always over-communicate, manage guest expectations (under-promise, over-deliver), trust your gut and don't forget "common sense" ...and show a little patience."

I would add:  My hospitaly philosophy is to treat guests as if they were already my friends coming to visit.  Make them feel welcome.  Provide a Welcome Book (with detailed instructions for how to use everything in the apartment) AND your own Guide with tips.  Most of all, the apartment must be SPARKLING CLEAN.  Finally, have FUN. 

We had a couple from Iran that arrived for a several night stay while they looked for student housing for the wife (she was attending the nearby college for a graduate program). We met up with them several times later. Took them to their first baseball game and they even came to our Christmas party months later. We spent time with them sharing Milwaukee, and listened to them talk about their culture and country. It was a genuine trading of experiences and it warmed my heart when they said their favorite thing is all of the US was the Wisconsin State Fair. They said they couldn't think of anything that compared. The state fair was what they loved out of LA, Orlando, Chicago, New York. It was a very sweet sentiment. 

Ephraim0
Level 10
New York, NY

Yes my first and most appreciated guests - sweet couple however upon departing they returned one set of keys. Looked me straight in the eye and said i only gave them one set. I got a smart lock the next day - best thing I ever did! I can't thank them enough.

Susan10
Level 9
Elkton, MD

Nervous of course.  After I told my guest he was my first ..., he replied that it was his first time as well.  Everything was fine after that.  He was a medical student doing an internship at a hospital which was not close, but he said he chose my place because it was the half way point for meeting his fiance who was doing her medical internship at a different hospital and she could visit for one of the nights. 

My young adult son was even more nervous.  He was convinced that I was going to be murdered  while sleeping and thought I was crazy for even becoming a host.  After the fifth guest checked out and I was still alive he thought I was a genius.

Daniel-and-Marsio0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lizzie On Friday 9th August 2018, it will be exactly 5 years since our first guests checked-in. Wow, we've come a long way since then and have hosted hundreds of satisfied guests from all over the world. We finally made it to Superhost status, and we have proudly maintained that for 16 consecutive quarters!

After a few false-starts and waiting for what seemed like forever for our first confirmed reservation, we eagerly accepted our first guests. That first booking was a tough 'trial by fire' - a two-week stay by a couple from Argentina with their young child. They never synched with the UK time zone, and both were clacking away on their laptops through the long nights - working on translations even though they were on holiday - whilst the girl ran up and down our wooden-floor hallway or sat watching children's DVDs with annoying music on repeat. 

Meanwhile, we were trying to sleep so that we could function properly in our demanding day jobs...

Two weeks never felt so long...

I have to be honest and admit that it was a relief when they checked-out. I discovered that the girl had scribbled with pen on our brand new, extremely expensive, luxury FRETTE bed linens, which we had brought back from a trip to Sicily and hadn't even used ourselves... I was sad, but felt 'battle toughened' for the next guests... it was a sharp learning curve. Parameters were re-drawn, expectations were modified. Bring on the next next guests! We didn't complain - we wanted a good review, and we got it. The ball was rolling...

Advice for Airbnb newbies? Prepare yourselves for a learning process that takes a while. You won't get everything right straight away. Establish what works best for you - every household and situation is different. Keep tweaking your settings until you feel comfortable, and be prepared to adapt and change to new circumstances. Try to re-invest your first earnings into improving your offering. Quality over quantity every time. Aim high, and keep raising the bar on hosting standards. Listen and learn from your guests, but don't be shy to educate too - it's two-way process. Enjoy it, and be a proud ambassador for your home, your country and your culture. Keep smiling.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Daniel-and-Marsio0

Congratulations on 5 years of hosting. 🙂 16 quarters of being a Superhost is an incredible achievement, you should be super proud of yourselves. 

It sounds like you have been through quite a journey as a host and it is really comforting to hear that after a slow start you have kept at it and enjoy hosting so much. 

Do you find it hard to host alongside busy jobs?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.