The first guest never gets forgotten

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

The first guest never gets forgotten

The first guest never gets forgotten.jpg

Hello everyone,

Do you remember your first guest? The moment they stepped into your home, the first opportunity to show your ability as a host – all of this marks the moment you officially became a host.

What do you remember of that day? What were your emotions that day? Any tips for new hosts before hosting their first guest?

Looking forward to hearing your stories!

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

71 Replies 71
Vicki150
Level 1
Clearwater, FL

Wow...The first guest.  So much has changed since then and so much has been learned as well.  My first guest was a very unhappy woman spending Christmas alone in my cottage.  It was rainy and gloomy all week.  Which is very unusual for Florida but seemed appropriate considering my guest. 

She had thought she booked a studio cottage on Clearwater Beach (come on for $45 a night Christmas week?).  I of course offered her a refund, I am 5 miles from the beach which was stated many times in my description.  After checking prices she decided to stay and heckle me the entire week.  

Since giving up is not in my nature I put on my big girl panties and flashed her a huge smile no matter what she did or said.  Even when she dumped a load of dirty towels and linens on my front doorstep on Christmas morning insisting that I put fresh linens on her bed immedietly. 

Yes,  prayed for her to leave.  If I didn't have other bookings I think I would of given up.  Luckily my next guest restored my faith in hosting.  A delightful gay man acting in a play nearby.  We had a wonderful time running around the garden picking ripe fruits and veggies to have the most distgusting smoothy contest. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Judith44
Level 2
Woodbury, CT

My first guests were 5 architect students

on their way to the Glass House in Connecticut. They arrived very late on a Friday night. When they came down in the morning, I shocked them with a huge breakfast.  I assumed they expected breakfast and they were delighted. Iittle did I know that I needed a special license to serve food in my town! I never served breakfast again.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

I actually don't remember my first guests to be honest. I remember just random guest that left an impression, there were some amazing people staying at my apartments. But I give my guests space and we don't interact much so I guess that is why I don't remember most of them. There were some guests that left quite a negative impression and it would be lovely to forget those too. Also I was never nervous before meeting the guests and after reading all of your experinces I wonder if I am approaching this right, everyone seems so eager and excited when meeting them. I love my guests, and it makes me happy to see satisfied guests since I go above and beyond for them but I am never nervous about them.

@Ana1136  I don't think not being nervous, eager or excited when meeting guests has anything to do with your approach being right or wrong. It has to do with your personality, whether one is nervous of how others might judge them, and how at ease one feels with strangers, among other things, IMO.  I'm very casual with my guests, I just think of them as friends who came to stay, and feel confident that I've created a comfortable, clean, welcoming space for them. So far, all my guests have seemed to feel at ease and well-taken-care-of.

I've had guests who were a bit nervous at first, though. One guy, about 35 years old, first time Airbnber, really nice person- "So I've never stayed at an Airbnb before- do you have a curfew? (I host a bedroom in my home)"  "Hey, you're an adult, it doesn't matter to me how late you stay out, just try not to make a racket when you come in."   He was a great guest and we had some really interesting conversations. 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Sarah977 yes I agree 100%, I treat them as friends too. Some are a bit uptight but most are very relaxed and seem to enjoy the apartments. I can usually see from their faces when they enter if they like it or not. I can get a bit nervous when I see that they are not impressed and even than it passes in a second, but otherwise i feel pretty confident when meeting new people since I know I offer great space at a reasonable price for my hometown. I think beeing casual is the way to go 🙂

Mark344
Level 2
Mundingburra, Australia

We have a special memeory of our first guest.

When we first started our Airbnb over 3 years ago in our empty nest house in Townsville in North Queensland Australia we expect some International tourist coming thru, however our first gust was a pregnant lady from a small town 100 km away with no maternity hosiptal facilities. She had seperated from her partner and came with  a girlfriend from interstate to support her having her first child.

She was due the same date as our first grand child who was due in Melbourne 2500km away.

They both went over by a few days and arrived within 2 hours of each other she had a little girl and we had a grandson. A very special guest !!!! Her interstate parents ended up staying with us as well. 🙂

Achmad-Marin0
Level 2
Bandung, Indonesia

YEs its true, never forgotten, so shaime a bit for me,  when got my first guest, i rty to much to make a contact with him, and because the house rental is near fro my house, so I always try to meet all my guest, my first guest is coming to Jakarta, and ya I got a trouble with the television and internet so shaime, luckelly he understand I thnk, that I just start..so I didn't get any complain, and review as well...so dummy

The Lou House
Jl Cijotang Raya No. 2
Bandung - West Java
INDONESIA - 41091

Annette136
Level 2
Tasmania, Australia

Strangely enough, my first guest has been my worst guest!  I've been hosting for 1 year this month and have been fortunate enough to host some really lovely people.  I dont always meet my guests as I have a self check-in and check-out, but reading comments in the visitors book and reviews is what inspires me to continue.  I've learnt so much since my first guest and no doubt will continue learning : )    

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Well @Annette136, I suppose in many ways this is the best way to have it, I am very please to see this didn't put you off hosting and that it has been such a great experience with all your other guests.

Congratulations on reaching your first year milestone of hosting, here is to the second. 🙂

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Jennifer1325
Level 2
Wanaka, New Zealand

Yes! we remember our first guests well too. They were a lovely couple from the Marquesa Islands in the western Pacific! We thought Wow will we get people from such unusual places all the time!!

Since then our world map in the hallway has Germany and China almpst completely filled and they are still the only people from the Marquesas!!

Our main recomendation is to be very clear (in English and especially in Chinese for us) about what your guests will get and what is not available, and then give them some little extras. If they get more than expected they will be happy, kess and they won't be so happy. Now we have our house instructions translated we have less misunderstandings and everyone enjoys it more!

Cheers.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Jennifer1325

Wow, you live in Wakana, it is such a beautiful place. I visited about 3 years ago and would love to come back. 🙂

Thank you for sharing a couple of your tips here, they are very handy and it sounds like you have been evolving these over the time you have been hosting which is great to hear. 

I hope your world map will continue to be filled with wonderful guests. Are there any particular continents that are looking a little empty on your map?

--------------------

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, Africa and South America, (less than 6 from each). This is out of a total of more than 280 visits since December 2016.

We jokingly said to one groupof guests when we were looking at the map with them, that if they knew anyone who came from Svarlbard we were offering a free nights accommodation and it turned out that they had actually been there and the man's mother had been born there!! Our most northerly guests!

Cheers Jenny