Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Tips on creating your House Rules?

House Rules

Hello everyone,

I hope you are having a great week.

I often see discussions here in the Community Center where suggestions or tips on the house rules have been given and it is always well received. This is why I thought it would be great to start a discussion on this. 🙂 

It would be great to hear tips on things you would recommend including (especially for a new host who is about to create theirs), also ways to write the 'rules' and perhaps even whether less is more in terms of points.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. 

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

134 Replies 134

@David-And-Frances0  Yes, all you have to do is create your Co-Host profile, activate it so when hosts in the area click on looking for a CoHost, they find the one that best fits their needs. Its awesome.  ABB always seems to find a way to improve our community and I couldn't be happier.   My ABB business is growing and not my mortgage payments.  LOL.

I am currently negotiating with a man from China who owns a 4 million dollar brand new condo with 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms,  views to die for all around the condo with floor to ceiling glass windows.  Working on getting his place decorated, furnished and completely ready for Airbnb guests to book.  It goes for $8000 a month to rent, so you can imagine that he will need to ask a pretty penny a night to help him cover his costs.  But this building is pretty special plus fabulous location, and he will have no problem getting $500- 600 a night easy or more. Sleeps 10 the way we are setting it up with the 4 bedrooms. Other condos in the same building go for $10k a month!!! 

Thank you for your continued support and APPRECIATION of me.  I am thrilled that you shared the way you worded it. Made me smile actually.  You are too funny. But yes, that was a great approach to giving me credit on helping you with the House Rules. If you ever go on vacation, feel free to add me as a Co-host for a short period of time, and I can actually take care of your listing with at least messages and bookings if you would like.  Been doing that for a year now for 2 other hosts. Its made it so easy for them to take more cruises and not worry about missing ABB requests or messages from incoming guests.

I would be thrilled to visit Canada again and absolutely would love to be your honored guests with my beautiful family.  We would bring you delicious Hawaiian coffee with us too.   Thank you for the special invite!  Definitely have Canada at the top of our travel list after an amazing trip there 2 years ago.....Arizona would of course be at the very bottom.  Too hot ...I mean too hostile. hahahaha.

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Yes, our heads up is when people who are applying to stay as guests cannot seem to see things from the host perspective.

@Momi0 

I revamped our profile to more accurately reflect where we are at right now, and I also used your 'helpful tip' which tells folks about having a profile or including an introductory message with their request.

I made an attempt at honouring your creative input.

And I quote:

Credit where credit is due: Thanks to Momi of Hawaii for her articulation of this concept. I copied her almost word for word in this because we have had strong feelings about this issue and have been articulating it in response to one enquiry after another.  Great work, Momi, and thanks for your help in being more proactive. Aloha!

Frances

@Momi0

Here is what I wrote at the bottom of our profile, where I added in a not very different from your original 'helpful tip':

Credit where credit is due: Thanks to Momi of Hawaii for her articulation of this concept. I copied her almost word for word in this because we have had strong feelings about this issue and have been articulating it in response to one enquiry after another.  Great work, Momi, and thanks for your help with this. It's great to be more proactive. I also used some of your great ideas for articulating rules and the need for potential guests to read them. Aloha!

@Momi0 

Hi from Cambodia, thanks for the this wonderful house rule and me aswel i'll "Borrowing" heavily some of your rules from your listing.

Warm regards,

Lea

Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Momi0 

Is your House Rules still available?

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

I have been editing heavily over the last while, and have now come up with my own set of rules (with a little help from my friends)

😉

Feeling integral

@David-And-Frances0, I really like your newly edited profile as well as your now edited House rules much better than what you had before : guests can sense if the host speaks in his/her own language or is copying something from someone else, or, even less appealing,  lets someone else post for them.

I have 13 rules printed on a legal format in large print. Each guest must agree to the above terms and must  sign off on it upon receiving keys. My House Manual has a copy  of the Rules on the first page. Too many rules becomes burdensome.  I am not running a boarding school. You don't want it to look like pharmacy disclaimer. It will be ignored! Many people are on vacation. Set the tone of importance, but keep it simple. So far so good! I have enjoyed every one of our guests. They have left our Airbnb  apartment immaculately clean with great reviews. 

Thank you. Your rules were quite helpful. I didnt think about candes and turnng off the stove. 

Hello, Momi, where do I go to view your House Rules? ( if you don't  mind, that is). I am new to this venture and want to make sure that I do things correctly. Thank you in advance, Catherine 

@catherine577  <-----------   (see how I did that?)  😉

HI.. Because you didn't tag me , I didn't get your post sent to my inbox. However, someone else did, and I scrolled back to see if anyone else has asked the same question and found yours.  Don't forget to use the "@" and the persons user name (see above)  if you want them to get your post.  I just responded to @Shannyn1  on this same thread about house rules, so be sure to look at the most recent post of mine to help you find my house rules.  thanks for asking and hope you and your family stay healthy.  Aloha. 

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

@Momi0    I realize how old this post is, but had hope to contact you regarding your house rules. I am creating my space and my listing and working on my house rules.  I would very much like to read what you have created. I have tried locating your listing, but have not had luck. Not sure what I am doing wrong...Can you please tell me the name of your listin

@Shannyn1   Hello.  You can't find my Hawaii listing bc I have snoozed it as I am currently living in CA to support our teenage daughter, whose dream came true to attend the most prestigious performing arts high school in the nation for Musical Theater.  However, there is a way to find some of my house rules by going to the search bar in the community here and typing in Momi House Rules.  Its been posted a few times.  Also if you get the Airbnb monthly newsletter, I was featured along with a few other hosts for their outstanding house rules in the April 2019 edition. Pretty sure you can google that or look on Airbnb site for the monthly newsletter.   I'm still hosting but only as a CoHost for Private Homeowners in Newport Beach area who have luxury homes that definitely require someone who can make sure they get the best guests.....haven't let any of my clients (Hosts) down in that regard 🙂

They love how I can spot a "red flag" they never could.   5 years of hosting in my home has definitely given me that valuable insight LOL 

p.s.  Be sure not to copy and paste as I do mention "sand" in my house rules.....as our Hawaii home is near the beach and won't apply to you. 😉

Aloha, Momi

I have declined a reservation request once because they had a landscape as a profile pic. I did inform them that Airbnb stipulates in their rules that a profile pic is as follows; "A photo that clearly shows your face is needed before booking or hosting a reservation."