What are your pet peeves as a host?

Irina47
Level 6
Portland, OR

What are your pet peeves as a host?

At the risk of sounding high maintenance I would like to hear from other hosts about their teeny pet peeves that, in the grand spectrum of guests every month, turn into giant paint-in-the-you-know-what annoyances. I’m talking about a pattern of something guests do, maybe it’s weekly, or monthly, but you as a host come across it enough for it to drive you crazy.

Especially those hosts who deal with their guests and property personally. Those of us who don’t have cleaning people, those that selected and purchased every item in your space by hand and even to the smallest washing cloth, you really care about each item you place in the space you offer.

I have a simple room in my home that I Airbnb out. It’s been just under a year and I can’t complain as so far I’ve had pretty wonderful guests. However, every few weeks, I do get a guest that sleeps in their make-up. Once they checkout, the pillows and sheets have make-up residue such as mascara or foundation on them. These products are SO hard to wash out. The makeup issue extends to my towels also. I’ll leave specific small washcloths to be used but still I get guests who insist on removing their makeup into my fluffy hand towels and the stains are permanent. At this point I think I’m going to invest in some makeup removing towelettes and leave them in the room to encourage a clean face.

So what code of conduct do you wish to see in your guests? Maybe you’ve found a good way to combat a reoccurring peeve of your own? I would love to know.

63 Replies 63
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Leaving ALL the lights on when they go out for HOURS!!

come on people-- turn out the lights!!

@Kelly149

I hear you on that one! We had a guest stay for an extended period - 28 days - and quadrupled our utility bill. We popped over a couple times to do this and that for him while he was out and the place was always lit up like Vegas with the AC running too. We'd turn it all off on those occasions, but it drove us mad. Even when we stay in a hotel we aren't that inconsiderate with the resources.

I put a small note on the door leading out of the room asking that people turn out the lights and fan. It has helped with the lights. Most people do that but leave the fan running for some reason.

I have had pretty good luck getting out makeup but not acne treatment! It bleaches the towels. I also have special wash clothes and towelettes to remove makeup. Most people use them.

Emma94
Level 10
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

or leaving the AC on in their room with door open while they're hanging out in the living room. Not taking shower and stink up the whole house. Removing bedsheets and pillow cases and duvet cover for no apparent reason.

Going out for hours and leaving the TV lights and airconditioning on for hours and hours. I want to know if it is ok to go into the room and turn them all off? After all we are not a hotel we are sharing our home.

Absolutely you should feel free to go in and turn everything off! It's your home and you are paying the bills, not the guest. Maybe a small sign in the room asking guests to turn off everything when they leave? Of course, they have to read it!

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Now that Spring is coming it's a memory.

But guests who open windows during heating season drive me crazy.

I have to keep my anger in check, because many people from the tropics are oblivious to how wrong it is. 

I live in wet and cool Seattle.

During winter, some guests will open the bathroom window during showering, making all the walls and floor wet with condensation and cold for the next bathroom users.

I Airbnb my RV in Buckley Wa. and people leave the propane heater on all day.  I have a sweet note inside that's says I will check after they leave and will turn it down for them if they forget.  Propane runs out fast if it's left running.  On a side note....how do I find my year end statement for taxes?  I can't find it anywhere😬

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Annette47,

Great to see you posting here in the Community Center. In terms of your question, I would recommend starting a new post in the Community Help board as this will make it easier to find and for this discussion to follow. 🙂

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi @Annette47!

I also rent an RV. To prevent annoyances like leaving the propane heat on all day (or electric, or long showers!) I make a big deal out of being "off the grid", when guests arrive, clearly letting them know the limits of each resource, and that it's their job to manage those resources so that they don't run out. I've had conscientious use as a result.

Jude

@Jude7 (not sure why cc won't let me tag you both... but same question, and yes, I know it's off topic, but it's seriously challenging to go find anything in old threads and then even if I found the right thread, how would I tag Jude and Annette... Educate me if it's simple and I've missed it please...)

any other RV tips?

there was a recent thread about special circumstances for RV listings. I'm considering getting one for personal/abb use and am wondering how much of a pain it will be to get people to understand the systems

Thanks! kw

Real Texas Barn

@Kelly149 One of my 2 spaces is a vintage Airstream. It is busy without interuption whenever the calendar is open. It is clearly a "bucket list" thing for most of our guests. I did a COMPLETE restoration on it a year and a half ago with the intention of using it as a long term static, short term rental. 

To answer your question, yes, there are challenges to renting an RV:

First, you have to make sure your munipality allows you to have an RV on the property without zoning issues. Some only allow overnight stays in an RV (even your own family) if you are zoned as an RV Park.

It must be properly connected to power source, absolutly correctly.

It must be connected to a potable water source-- rather than filling the tanks-- blaaaa.

Is it close enough to the house to be able to access the WIFI network?

Can you hook it to cable or satalite TV?

What are the enviro systems? We removed the gas furnace and Elect A/C unit and installed a single heat pump unit that provides both heat and A/C. People screw with it all the time-- power bill must be considered unless you are going to code the thermostat to maintain constant temp.

Where is it located? In the blazing sun or under a cover-- it makes a huge difference for the power consumption.

DO you have a cleanout near the RV to hook up to, and dump the blackwater tank a few times per week? Is the clean out line going to be hidden or create a tripping hazard?

Do you want people cooking in your RV? (I removed the gas stove in my remodel) 

Does the RV have a 6-gallon HWH or an on-demand system? Guests get a little pissy about a 3 minute hot shower, plus recovery time for multipal guests, unless they are clear about it on the front end.

I have a whole riff to go over the "how an RV works" in-person check in-- They would never figure it out by note or over the phone. (Creates a bit of a hostage crisis for me, waiting for them to arrive on check in day)

We allow 5-days max stay in ours-- its old, small and requires constant cleaning and maintenance.

Other than that, its a goldmine. 😉

@Annette47 any other RV tips?

there was a recent thread about special circumstances for RV listings. I'm considering getting one for personal/abb use and am wondering how much of a pain it will be to get people to understand the systems

Thanks! kw

Real Texas Barn

Barry145
Level 2
Belfast, United Kingdom

Surely condensation would be worse if the window was closed.  I have a request in my info folder that guests always open the window and close the bathroom door to ventilate and minimise condensation.