Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Your home: plans for 2018!

Your home.png

Hello everyone,

Happy New Year to those of you who I haven't spoken to so far. 🙂

One of my favourite discussions here in the Community Center is a topic created by @Huma0 which is all about past renovation projects and sharing Before and After photos. I know many of you have commented in this, so I am sure it is a favourite among many of us. 

With this in mind and because it is the start of a new year, I wanted to ask you if you have any plans for your home in 2018?

For me, I want to add more life to my walls, by creating and searching for nice photos and art works to hang. I plan to make some nice photo collages of times with my family and friends, but also print some photos of places I have visited (usually photos of the sea, I have a surprising amount of seascapes). Plus, I have a couple of old maps showing local landmarks, shipwreckss etc. which I want to frame. 

What about you? Perhaps you just want to give a room or two a lick of paint, perhaps you plan to add some new furniture to your living room or perhaps you are planning on knocking some walls down! It would be great to hear what you are planning to do this year.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

66 Replies 66
April3
Level 5
South Lake Tahoe, CA

This year in my rental, I plan to repaint the entire interior, as it is time for an upgrade from the original boring beige color it came with. I'd possibily like to add a small desk or work space to make it 'business ready', though I am more concerned with not cluttering the space than gaining this designation. BTW @Lizzie would my existing breakfast bar count as 'laptop friendly'?  I also have some leftover flagstone that I'll lay down to make a sort of rock patio. Not as exciting, I'll need to hire a plumber to create a more accesible water shut off valve for my place.

In my personal home, I'm completing renovations in a cabin I purchased last May. I've finally had the elctric updated in the last bedroom to be renovated, and am finishing that up today! At first, I'll have a roommate, as there are a few other things in the home that don't make it Airbnb ready, but when/if she moves out I'll likely rent that room out short term.

When it gets warmer I'll start working on the partially finished but spacious storage shed. Its a really nice space, already wired with electric, and I hope to make it into some kind of bunkhouse. I doubt I'll be able to add another sewer unit as my property may be deemed 'historic' @Panos & Mary  I feel your pain! I'll look into a composting toilet and some other 'tiny home' ideas to make this a nice liveable space, or at least a very comfortable relaxing and working area!

Matthew331
Level 2
Chicago, IL

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/21982045

Hi Lizzie- we’ve been filling up the summer with reservations from Airbnb - for both our properties in Saugatuck, Michigan! (RWP is 21352511)!

This year, we will be raising the bar on our guests experience by adding brand new hot tubs to both places. RWP will get a further facelift with outdoor landscaping to complete the spa feel, complete with a custom fire pit. 

Lastly, any updates on video? We’d love to add drone footage. Cheers! 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Matthew331,

It is great to hear the bookings are flooding in for Summer. 🙂

In terms of video, it still isn't an available feature option at the moment. I would suggest taking a look in Host Voice. Here you share and support community ideas and the most popular are reviewed by our Product Team. I just looked for video suggestions in the search there and I see here is a recent idea created.

Good luck with all your renovation work. 

Lizzie 

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

We'll be repainting the interior our main Airbnb. No colour changes, I don't think: just freshening everything up. I think once a year is a good time frame for repainting. We also plan on re-paving the driveway. We also need to do some work tidying up the backyard. Our two greyhounds are doing a number on the grass, and something needs to be done.

Elizabeth626
Level 2
Belfast, United Kingdom

I am hoping to replace 4 windows with triple glazing this summer. It’s a bay window and one next to it.  I use the money from Air B and B to improve the areas guests stay in. 

Elizabeth

My wife and I just purchased a home near our own to be a full time airbnb.  Currently we are about half way through the whole house remodel.  I mean everything... all new electrical, plumbing , kitchen, baths etc.  I am a builder by trade and we travel rather often so I think we have an idea of how to furnish, decorate and generally set it up for the savy traveler; but  I am curious of what other airbnb owners would recommend.  Things that we can take into consideration for the build that will possibly benefit us and the traveler.  Since this is a" ground-up build" my canvas is rather empty.  Thank You for your consideraton. Hoping to be open for business this May or June.  

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Kevin553,

This sounds like a big project, how is it going? You might like to take a look at this discussion too. 

Do you have any photos of when you first started, it would be great to see what it looks like?

--------------------