complaint against airbnb

Answered!
Beefy0
Level 5
Nature's Valley, South Africa

complaint against airbnb

I am getting seriously **bleep** off with airbnb.

Firstly, it is impossible - as far as I can find to contact them directly to lodge my complaint. It is like trying to find your way through a maze. Most user unfriendly. Secondly, my complaint is the number of emails I get all related to one booking. Everything is already done, dusted and confirmed with guests and I still get on average of 4 emails afterwards stating my time to respond is running out etc. etc.  Grrrrrrrrr - I am seriously thinking of cancelling my arrangement with airbnb if only I knew how? 

*[Profanity hidden –in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

329 Replies 329

Clearly you misunderstood.  I asked the host if she vould accommodate them for a few weeks.  I would pay for 3 days Through AIrbnb and they would pay THROUGH Airbnb for the remsinder of rheir stay.   She changed her mind and made them leave.after the 3rd days when she told me she could accommodate them for a few weeks which left hem strandeb 5and my daughter is pregnant.  Kindly read carefully my post as yours makes no sense.

Both Airbnb and the host knew the citcumstances.  Three days were paid for and when they arrived on day one they would book the rest through Airbnb.  She made my pregnant daughter get thrown out by a very rude host after 3 days.  Why would I be on this Airbnb site if I didn't book with them????????  Do the math.  Also I could book for them you are wrong.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Donna478  I'm sorry this happened to your daughter and that the host was rude. Did the host give any reason for booting out your daughter and husband? And yes, I did misunderstand because your post is confusing, not because I didn't thoroughly read it. 

"The woman **** booked it on my card for 3 days and they were to pay for the rest on day one."   Who is "the woman"?  Airbnb charges your card, so can you not see that the way you stated it was confusing? Who is the "she" who "made" your daughter get thrown out? 

What you have written may make perfect sense to you, but it's really hard to figure out who and what you're talking about.

And yes, third party bookings are most definitely against Airbnb's terms of service, unless the booker has a company account, booking for their employees. I suggest you Google that info or simply type it into the search engine on the Airbnb site.

She is clearly the host.  I would think that was self explanatory.  She and the woman clearly had to be the host, Yes you can book for a third party.  I have done it many times.  The host and Airbnb knew the entire situation.  I don't see what is so confusing to you.  Airbnb doesn't make people leave.

@Donna478   Just because you have booked for 3rd parties before doesn't mean it isn't against the Terms of Service. It just means that the host allowed it. But hosts are not covered for anything by Airbnb if the booker isn't in the party that arrives, and most hosts will decline 3rd party bookings.  You can look up that information, but you seem to want to insist that you're right instead.

And while Airbnb doesn't physically make people leave, they can and do contact guests to tell them they have to leave the accomodation if the host reports that the guest is breaking rules or behaving objectionably.

Not to say your daughter or husband was- as you claim, the host may just be a nasty person. 

Donna478
Level 2
Weymouth, MA

The host was nasty.  Their free breakfast was baby applesauce.  Whatever Airbnb does they all knew the circumstances as my daughter and busband were on a plane with no phone.  I am not intetested in the protocol of Airbnb.  I have booked for 3rd party before with no problem.  Not insisting I am right just fact.  You appear to want to argue with me.  Bottom line is the host lied and threw my sick, pregnant, cold daughter was left on the street woth no where to go.  How would you feel?

Regardless of you doing it before or not, it's not allowed per policy:

Can I book on behalf of a friend or family member?

Transparency and trust are vital to the Airbnb experience. People rely on information in Airbnb profiles, reviews, and other verifications when deciding whether to host or stay with someone.

We require Airbnb reservations booked for personal travel to be booked by the person who's going to stay at the listing.

Instead of making a reservation for someone else, consider referring them to Airbnb. You can refer them to Airbnb directly from your dashboard by clicking the Invite Friends button. When a referred friend or family member successfully completes a qualifying reservation, you’ll earn travel credit.

For business trips, Airbnb allows designated bookers at companies enrolled in Airbnb for Work to book trips on behalf of others. If you book travel for your company, find out more about booking for your team." 

Source: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/427/can-i-book-on-behalf-of-a-friend-or-family-member?ibbe=1

The reason for this is that the guest that requests the booking has been fully vetted by the AirBnB system through various methods.  The people you're booking for are not.  It's for the safety of the host.  Think about it: if you were hosting someone, and people who weren't the person you were contacted by shows up, how would you feel?

Sally384
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

How can they even call themselves "Airbnb"?   There is no breakfast included.....   sure that here in Europe it must be contrary to the Trade Descriptions Act.    Since you have to pay for your own breakfast, it actually works out same price as staying in a decent hotel.  They're having a laugh - at our expense.

The founders of the company threw an air mattress in their living room when they couldn't afford the rent, offering breakfast to the guests they had, hence why they call it AirBnB.

Jennifer1357
Level 1
Bonita, CA

I have been using Airbnb for years living in the USA.  Now, I live in Australia and use AU currency, only to find out that AFTER I see all the prices in AUD and book the place, its converted to USD.  I was booking at least 1 place weekly for my husband's work and also our vacations but no more - what a scam to see prices in AUD and then be charged in USD - on top of that, other fees, too.  Beware if you don't notice when you are searching and booking in the currency of your choice.  What's the point of showing the other currency Airbnb?  Suck you in I guess...stupid me, but not again

Olga394
Level 4
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi @Beefy0 ... I'm also from SA. I've had help from Airbnb on a couple of occasions.. 

I have never tried to call them. I've used the message system. I would ask my question, or explain a situation and more than once, an Airbnb  case worker phoned me! I was pleasantly surprised, since a text or email with an answer would have been fine.  

I think trying to get hold of them by calling is difficult,  especially considering we are not on same continent or time zone... 

So try HELP option. Not one of my questions were left unanswered.  

Good luck ! 

Alles van die beste! 😉

Olga 

@Olga394 wrote:

Hi @Beefy0 ... I'm also from SA. I've had help from Airbnb on a couple of occasions.. 

I have never tried to call them. I've used the message system. I would ask my question, or explain a situation and more than once, an Airbnb  case worker phoned me! I was pleasantly surprised, since a text or email with an answer would have been fine.  

I think trying to get hold of them by calling is difficult,  especially considering we are not on same continent or time zone... 

So try HELP option. Not one of my questions were left unanswered.  

Good luck ! 

Alles van die beste! 😉

Olga 

I called, wrote and they answer but not helped. So better don’t use airbnb at all

Donna478
Level 2
Weymouth, MA

How true that is for **** was her name.  She misrepresents her house and serves baby food for breakfast.  I complaoned and had my money returned she was si bad.  She sent me a nasty mail and was flagged by Airbnb for her outrageous behavior.  Hopefully they will throw her off as a host.  Complain to Airbnb and report her.  She has no business hosting. She even wanted money for a room outside of Airbnb so she could get money for herself!

*[Personal information hidden for safety reasons – inline with the Community Center Guidelines

Kaime0
Level 2
Mullumbimby, Australia

AIR BNB ARE LYING SCAMMING **bleep**. THEY HAVE REFUSED TO PAY BACK MONEY WE ARE OWED NOW FOR 4 WEEKS, SAYING IT WILL SHOW UP IN THE PAYPAL ACCOUNT TOMORROW AND NEVER DOES WE HAVE STARTED LEGAL PROCEEDINGS THIS COMPANY CANNOT BE TRUSTED THEY SCAM AND LIE TO GET RICH

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Kaime0,

Good to meet you. My name is Lizzie and I am the Community Manager here.

I am sorry to hear your frustration regarding not receiving your payment. I'm not sure of the specifics around your payment only what you have shared here, but there is a slight delay with payments reaching some hosts in Australia at the moment (you may have read similar comments here in the Community Center). Our tech team are busy working to resolve this with our payment partner, but this might be a reason why you haven't received your payment yet. 

I would recommend, contacting our Support Team again in a few more days if you still haven't received it. I am sorry I can understand this is really frustrating, but do keep me updated on this. Fingers crossed it will arrive with you shortly.

Thanks,
Lizzie 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.