quality sheets and towels

quality sheets and towels

being new and all, i have to ask...

i got waterproof mattress covers and pillow protectors. i got white cotton sheets.  i got white towels.  the protectors are great.

the cheap cotton sheets probably weren't cotton.  i found them on amazon with a lot of paid reviews.  the white towels are already starting to fall apart.  they were on serious sale with high ratings

i go to the dollar store and/or buy bulk individual servings of soaps, so i figure that's good.  but i'm having fits over the expense of crappy linens.

does anybody have recommendations on where to get good quality sheets and towels that last a long time and are inexpensive?  i know, right?

thanks

66 Replies 66

What brand are your sheets?

Where do you purchase your linens?

+-My sheets are all pastels that match the rest of the bedding in the rooms.  Having 4 different sizes of beds, that makes it easier and faster on the rare occasions I have someone come in to do the cleaning.  X color sheets go in X color room (I have a list).   So much easier than searching each sheet for the tag to see if it's queen, double, XL twin or regular twin.

Towels also match the rooms, the same as the sheets...light blue and pale yellow in the blue room, sage green and tan in the green room and medium purple and cream in the purple room, etc.  The folks often hang up their towels on the assigned towelbars and re-use them as they know for sure which color came from their room.

@Heather5

I am wondering about the same thing.

I am using both white sheets and colored sheets, and keeping the white sheets sparkling white seems to be 3~4times more work than the colored sheets.

Also, unless the white sheets are sparkiling white, it doesn't feel as clean as just 'regular' clean colored sheets.

I use brown colored sheets, as well as light brown pillow cases - both are working great.

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/White-sheets-or-not/m-p/23374#M5969

@Heather0, my advice is to avoid ikea fabrics, unless you want to go crazy with wrinkles and spend hours ironing, look for polycotton and white fabrics, you can always bleach them if necessary.

The only units I use color or pattern sheets are my "boho" or "eclectic" design units. The quality of the material is paramount and it is difficult to find quality cotton. I do not advise anything but 100% cotton as everything else pills and tears with multiple washes. White is my go to favorite for high end units as it reads botique hotel. Best of luck

What brand do you use?

Lucille-and-Alan0
Level 7
Toronto, Canada

Sheets should be on sale now (January) so it's a good time to invest.I usually buy at a dept store, searching out the really nice ones that have been discontinued. 

Sarah119
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Wilko (Wilkinsons) do really brilliant and reasonable sheets and towels. Really happy with the quality and longevity.

Susan48
Level 3
Ruidoso, NM

I use dark burgundy sheets from Amazon - very inexpensive, soft, and guests love them.  They aren't to my taste, but I get a lot of compliments, and I buy the exact same ones every time so that they can be randomly paired. These particular sheets have not yet pilled after two years, and the older ones look just as new as those recently purchased for an additional room listing.

SHEETS:   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S42FP38/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have beautifully colored towels that match my bathrooms.  However, people use them for their acne medications and cleansers with Benzoyl Peroxide which strip the color in ugly little brown/yellow patches making such unsightly spots that I consider them unusable for guests.  I've started placing super cheap white face cloths in a special basket on the counter and pointing out on my little "welcome tour" that they are for face cleansers so that the color will not be stripped from my towels. We'll see how that works.

Hi Susan! How did the specified make up removing basket work out? We are running into the same issue! 

Just fyi, I started putting out the makeup remover sheets (whichever ones are on sale, I buy several at once and stockpile...) and people are using those instead of my washcloths...

Hi, Joshua - well it's been a while since I've been on this forum!  The white washcloth idea has worked well so far.  I get a nice quality from Amazon, and can bleach them out,  use the slightly stained for dustcloths, or just toss the nasty ones.  I let them know that the cloths are for makeup so that it wont stain my towels when I give my little welcome tour so that they are clear about them. 

Mike262
Level 2
Key West, FL

I never use white sheets.  I host roughy 150 guest a month on boats.  Have had $50 sets of whites ruined on the first use.  Currently buy from Ross, and usually get 600+ TC.

Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

@Jim-And-Jeanne0  I bought "Malouf Fine Linens" sheet sets over three years ago. They are the strongest, highest quality sheets on Amazon. Yes, a bit expensive, but you can wait until they go on sale. I have washed mine in "Iron Out" to get rid of blood stains, have bleached them and used Borax and they are still strong and fresh. I do rotate them, so a set will be used maybe one week out of four, but even at that with so many washings for over three years, I am impressed.