1099 Questions

Jean174
Level 6
Long Beach, CA

1099 Questions

If you are the HOST on a listing and 90% of the payout goes to the property owner and you receive 10% for doing all the bookings and correspondence, will 10% of the earnings appear on your 1099 or the other 90% appear on the owner's 1099?

o If you receive a 1099-K does that mean you will receive a 1099 for reporting purposes, or not necessarily?  The Airbnb site says reporting will begin in January 2023 for the 2022 calendar year, except for certain states.  Can you be more specific?

o When 1099s are released for 2022, will I receive an email that they are available for download from the site?  

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jean174 you should probably talk to a CPA but Airbnb only know who the host is (not the owner) so you will get all the revenue on your 1099. As a business you will then need to expense the other 90% and presumably issue the equivalent of a 1099 to the owner if required by the IRS.

Who knew this when I signed up to host!  And I guess I need to take the site completely down and put it back up -- or can I transfer to the owner?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

if the property is owned by someone else then you are the cohost and should have been set up as such on the owners listing . 

@Jean174 sadly listings cannot be transferred so you would need to set the owner up as getting all the money and then you as a co-host getting paid your 10%