Adjacent Neighbor Notification Requirement in Georgia

Answered!
Mary1387
Level 2
Columbus, GA

Adjacent Neighbor Notification Requirement in Georgia

I have been a host in Columbus, GA since 2019. I have a business license and short term rental permit. In going to renew my business license at the tax office I was directed to go to the Inspections & Code Office because something has changed. So I go there and find out that Hosts are now required to send notifications to neighbors on both sides of us as well as the house directly behind us before we can renew our permit. Each adjacent property owner should sign something acknowledging that they were provided with this notice. This was told to me orally as I stood at the counter. They provide no format, content or sample of what is to be said or how the acknowledgement should be written. I've found some different types of notifications googling, but it seems to me, if the City wants a form, they should provide what they want.

To complicate things, the house to my left has been abandoned for years. However, it's now under contract and expected to be completely renovated which is great to hear, but I have no way of contacting the current owner to provide this notification letter because I don't know who has the contract on the house. The house behind me is sketchy. It's in very rough shape, I don't know who lives there and I'm not comfortable knocking on that door. If I send the letter certified mail, I doubt the person will respond by signing and returning the letter.

Have any of you hosts in Georgia been successful with providing these notifications and getting acknowledgements back so that you can proceed to renew your Short Term Vacation Rental Permits? Have you got a good letter/acknowledgment form you can share and  any tips for me to make this easier?

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Mary1387It all looks quite simple to me: I can't add a link but scroll down for the requirements.

INSTRUCTIONS
ADJACENT NEIGHBORS NOTIFICATION REQUIREMENT

The "Adjacent Neighbor(s) Notification," herein referred to as "notification" requirement, as outlined in the Short Term Vacation Rental (STVR) Ordinance, Sec. 4.9.6, requires the property owner/STVR applicant or the property owner's rental agent, to notify adjacent neighbor(s), that a STVR application has been submitted to the City requesting operation of a proposed STVR. Adjacent property includes any property that shares a property line with the proposed STVR. Copies of the documentation showing that notification was made is required at the time of submission of a STVR application through the STVR application process and prior to the issuance of an initial STVR permit.

Notification must include the information outlined below and must be provided in writing and addressed to the property owner(s) mailing address. You can locate adjacent property owner information on the Tax Assessor's website at https://publicaccess.columbusga.gov/forms/ htmlframe.aspx?mode=content/home.htm

Each adjacent property owner should sign acknowledging that they were provided with notification of this short term vacation rental use, when notification is provided in-person/hand­ delivery; OR

Notification can be via certified mail, return receipt requested, and the City would need a copy of the document/letter that you provided to the adjacent property owner(s); and copies of completed certified mail receipts.

Notification in writing and addressed to the property owner(s) must provide:

1. (1)  Street address of the proposed short-term vacation rental;

2. (2)  Location of any on-site parking for short-term vacation rental occupants;

3. (3)  Providemaximumoccupancy-Calculatethemaximumoccupancyasfollows: 2

occupants per bedroom + one additional occupant

4. (4)  Copy of the short-term vacation exemplar rental agreement;

5. (5)  Name of property owner; and

6. (6)  Name of rental agent and contact information. When property owner is the rental agent,

must provide property owner(s) contact information.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Mary1387It all looks quite simple to me: I can't add a link but scroll down for the requirements.

INSTRUCTIONS
ADJACENT NEIGHBORS NOTIFICATION REQUIREMENT

The "Adjacent Neighbor(s) Notification," herein referred to as "notification" requirement, as outlined in the Short Term Vacation Rental (STVR) Ordinance, Sec. 4.9.6, requires the property owner/STVR applicant or the property owner's rental agent, to notify adjacent neighbor(s), that a STVR application has been submitted to the City requesting operation of a proposed STVR. Adjacent property includes any property that shares a property line with the proposed STVR. Copies of the documentation showing that notification was made is required at the time of submission of a STVR application through the STVR application process and prior to the issuance of an initial STVR permit.

Notification must include the information outlined below and must be provided in writing and addressed to the property owner(s) mailing address. You can locate adjacent property owner information on the Tax Assessor's website at https://publicaccess.columbusga.gov/forms/ htmlframe.aspx?mode=content/home.htm

Each adjacent property owner should sign acknowledging that they were provided with notification of this short term vacation rental use, when notification is provided in-person/hand­ delivery; OR

Notification can be via certified mail, return receipt requested, and the City would need a copy of the document/letter that you provided to the adjacent property owner(s); and copies of completed certified mail receipts.

Notification in writing and addressed to the property owner(s) must provide:

1. (1)  Street address of the proposed short-term vacation rental;

2. (2)  Location of any on-site parking for short-term vacation rental occupants;

3. (3)  Providemaximumoccupancy-Calculatethemaximumoccupancyasfollows: 2

occupants per bedroom + one additional occupant

4. (4)  Copy of the short-term vacation exemplar rental agreement;

5. (5)  Name of property owner; and

6. (6)  Name of rental agent and contact information. When property owner is the rental agent,

must provide property owner(s) contact information.

The main issue is that I wasn't given any notice of what was required until I walked in there. Fortunately I was able to make direct contact with all the owners within the limited time I had.

The link you gave won't work for me. https://publicaccess.columbusga.gov/forms/ htmlframe.aspx?mode=content/home.htm   so thanks for posting all the info. 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Mary1387   After reading the instructions that are posted, it appears to me that if you have an established business license and permit, that you do not need to go through these steps as the instructions talk about a "proposed STVR" and "prior to the issuance of an initial STVR permit."

Think of it this way:  Let's say you own a restaurant.  You have to renew your restaurant license every year.  Do you think that a restaurant has to go to all of the neighbors and get letters acknowledging that they are a restaurant?  And do this every year?

I would go back to the permit office and point out to them that you are an existing STVR, NOT a proposed STVR.  Their instructions are for NEW STVR owners.  If you meet with opposition, request the FORM.  They should provide the FORM. 

Best of luck to you.