Airbnb Scam by Scammer Posing as Airbnb Support

Scott53
Level 2
Oceanside, CA

Airbnb Scam by Scammer Posing as Airbnb Support

Airbnb hosts, beware. I received a call from Airbnb. I called the number back, and it was an Airbnb number: 415-800-5959. The scammers said they were updating my account with additional services. Unknowingly, they had hacked my Airbnb account. When they called me, they sent me a code to my cell phone and asked me to tell them the code. I didn't realize they were hacking my account. They used the code to get into my account. Once they were in my account, they changed my payment method to a Payoneer Bank debit card and stole the money from my account. Here's what's odd. They had perfect timing. Usually, the payment is transferred directly to my PayPal account automatically. How did they know to call me precisely before the Airbnb payment would be made? It almost seems like it was perpetrated by an Airbnb employee who had inside access. If someone from Airbnb support asks you to read the code sent from Airbnb, DON'T GIVE IT TO THEM. Give them fake numbers to see what they do. An Airbnb support person will not get annoyed. If they ask you more than once for another code, ask them why they are trying to scam you. Ask them if they need the code to hack your account. Tell them you are going to report them. They will probably hang up. The best way to confirm is to have them send you a message on Airbnb that verifies their name. I hope this helps other Airbnb hosts from being victimized.  #Payoneer #PayoneerBank #PayoneerDebitCard

1 Reply 1
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Scott53 , thank you for sharing this instance with other Hosts in the Community. It'll definitely help other Hosts to be careful during such interactions. 

Have you reported this incident to Airbnb Customer Support? If not, please let us know! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines