Another issue for AIrbnb to "fix" (Scary)

Another issue for AIrbnb to "fix" (Scary)

So this came up on another off-site forum. Kind of concerning. I own my property and tax records would prove it. But it occurred to me that I registered to be a "host" one evening and had bookings the next day without any stringent verification other than me checking some box to say I was the owner or had the owner's permission. So what does Airbnb do to prevent this from happening to other homeowners whose property is stolen (and protect  guests who might book an Airbnb not knowing the tenant is not the owner)

Summary for this case:

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigations/homeowners-find-tenants-gone-and-airbnb-strangers-living-f...

!. Tenant lists airbnb home without home owner's permission

2. Airbnb guests create havoc and locks out host

3. Airbnb guest squats on property and uses eviction moratorium to keep owner from getting their house back but aren't paying a dime.

Airbnb controls all the cards. If it is going to continue being a dominant global player, it has to do a better job at vetting its hosts and guests. And if a mistake is made, it has to make the injured party whole i.e. Airbnb should reimburse the homeowners and use it's legal power to claw back the money from the original host. It should also work with law enforcement to help remove scam artists who are gaming the system.

Tagging @Catherine-Powell 

16 Replies 16
Clare167
Level 10
United Kingdom

I once had a prospective guest who, when I asked why he had no reviews after some years of membership, explained that he was an estate agent who had joined so he could check whether tenants were renting out their properties in breach of letting agreements, he'd never actually stayed in an Airbnb. He certainly is an estate agent, easily established once I had accepted and got his surname. I guess landlords need to do such checks.

Under English law, I think the landlord might have a claim against Airbnb in unjust enrichment, but only to the extent of the fees.

If countries made Airbnb 100% liable for all fees, revenues and damages from these activities it would force them to investigate and verify new listings better.

At least here in the states they could verify from tax records and mortgage deeds. Match to an ID next to the face of the host (Twitter and Instagram require that photo/ID method) it would cut down on fraud.