Being nice went wrong with annoying guest

Erica1334
Level 1
Plant City, FL

Being nice went wrong with annoying guest

Sorry in advance this is a long post.

So I have a guest at my house right now whom I allowed to do an early check in because he drove far. He went in this morning in the weeee hours of the morning and regular check in is in a couple of hours. He reported having issues with the house to Airbnb and did not contact me. He complained about the AC was left on 79 before he got there, that the fridge is not getting cold enough and he smelled mold in his throat. He told airbnd he wanted to check out as soon as possible (this is all happening before the regular check in) The house has been inspected and was deep cleaned before he got in. I feel he's trying to get over on me trying to have free time at the house and use everything. Done used up all my stuff and now wants to leave. He finally messaged me now and said the fridge is not getting cold, and he smelled mold. I  told him how to fix the Fridge by turning the knob but still he's not satisfied. I don't know what to do. Airbnb asked for proof of mold pics from him he has not sent them yet. I guess he can't find the mold. I'm frustrated and trying to continue to be nice. What should I say to him? Or should I ask him to leave?  He has an extra guest there too and a dog and my listing said no pets. Also no other guests have complained about any of these. 

4 Replies 4

@Erica1334 Yes, he should absolutely leave at once and refrain from using your facilities any further. The faster this booking gets canceled, the likelier you'll be able to replace thus useless guest with someone who appreciates your home.

Unfortunately you won't get paid, and the guest can still leave a review. All you can do now is minimize the losses. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Erica1334  How long is his reservation for?  I would send him a change request to shorten the reservation since he doesn't like the space and is obviously angling for a refund anyway, which he might get no matter what you do.  So, better to get him out ASAP.

This is a lesson.  We have found, and I think many/most long time hosts will agree that guests who start off asking for extras and favors=poor guests.  As you found, you gave him the extras and not only was he not grateful, he expects more extras..extra guests and a dog in a no pet listing and disrespected you by contacting Airbnb directly.

We still offer guests extras like early check in or late check out [although the last guests we gave late check out to repaid us by having burned the kitchen table and never saying a word about it, so even long time hosts can be wrong about the guest].....but now we do it on our terms.  If the guest seems nice, is nice, then we offer some extras if it is convenient.  If they start off wanting an early check in or other extras, we say no.  

Erica1334
Level 1
Plant City, FL

Thank you for your responses. He is here for 4 days.

Erica1334
Level 1
Plant City, FL

Thus booking was a waste of my time. This man disrespected me and my house by the way he talked and act and airbnb canceled without even a partial pay out. Thank you all for your advice he us out.