Cabin in Wales - Tax Rules

Cabin in Wales - Tax Rules

Hi there.

The wife and I are starting to think about building a cabin on our land that we can let out for short term holiday lets.We are finding it difficult to understand the rules around this, particularly around the 182 rule and if that applies to lets that are on the same land as our main residence. 

We’re aware we’ll almost certainly need planning permission, will need to meet certain H&S requirements and fire safety but can’t work out if we’ll potentially get hit with a 200% or 300% premium on council tax, because I think it would be unrealistic to think we’ll get 182 days let, and even if we could we’d need to consider the first 12 months.

Anybody know or have good links that details what applies to a holiday let on the same land as your primary residence in Wales specifically?

1 Reply 1
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Dave1497 I have never seen anything that differentiates a property just because it is in the land of another property. 

However IF your planning permission is for a short term rental and it limits occupancy to less than 12 months then the article linked here might be of interest. Not sure if you can trust Drakeford but basically he said the rules wouldn't apply to he holiday chalet because it couldn't be occupied year round.