Charging for Early Check-In?

Charging for Early Check-In?

I recently changed the description of my listing to state that I would charge $25 to guests who want to check-in early or check-out late. 

Probably 60% of my guests either ask to check-in early or to drop their bags off so they can explore the city. It is actually a nuisance to deal with because it disrupts the cleaning process. I really did so in hopes that it would deter people from asking to check-in early, but if they really wanted to at least there would be some incentive for me to expedite the cleaning. 

Do you think this is a good idea, or do you think guest would think I am trying to nickel and dime them?

49 Replies 49
Evette12
Level 2
La Quinta, CA

Grata idea but 25 is too low, I charge $50

Tony-And-Una0
Level 10
Belfast, United Kingdom

I have started referring guests to a service called Stashser.  It's a worldwide luggage storage network. You can search for it easlily online.

I have used it myself a few times, it's great.

Of course it's only useful if you have somewhere in your area signed up to the service.

The feedback from guests has been positive.

I believe charging is a great idea. What is the mechanism to do the charge? Is that through the app?

Kenneth497
Level 1
Chalmette, LA

I think I’m going to do the same thing that you’re doing. I get asked that a lot too.

Charging for early check-ins can indeed be a tricky decision. Charging a fee could deter some guests from requesting early check-ins, but it's also possible that others might perceive this as an extra, perhaps unnecessary cost.

The key is in how you communicate this option. Being transparent and explaining the reasons for the fee in your listing can help guests understand the value of the service you're offering. It's all about finding a balance that works for both you and your guests.

I recently wrote a comprehensive blog post about this topic, discussing both the pros and cons of charging for early check-ins on Airbnb. It also introduces a solution which could streamline the process. You can check it out here: 

https://blog.upmarket.cloud/charging-for-early-check-ins-on-airbnb-a-comprehensive-guide/