Choice A, B or Both

Sarah4001
Level 2
Aurora, CO

Choice A, B or Both

Hello All~

Searching out Hosts that rent out their basement, yet live above in the main part of the house.

When you go on vacation, do you also rent out your main living area while you are away? Assuming you have a co-host to manage both units during your time away.

My house is a single family home with a large yard. I have a walk-out basement suite with it's own entrance. This basement is my current Airbnb suite. It is equipped with everything the main level has; 3 bedrooms, full kitchen, dining room, family room etc.  I currently live in the main part of the house but could easily host two separate families in my entire home-OR one large family utilizing both the basement and the main level. The main part of the house and the basement are set up with separate entrances and smart locks. 

Is anyone currently doing this? Renting out both spaces? What spaces if any, are shared? i.e. Is the backyard considered shared space? How is this working for you? Any advise to share? Thanks In Advance, TIA! Sarah~

2 Replies 2
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Sarah4001 I was renting a property I own as two units for a long time. I rent it as a whole house only now. I had three listings- top, bottom and whole house. Airbnb allows you to set up child/parent property so blocking the whole house when only one part is booked was automated. I was explicit in the listing that the yard was shared. You can type it as free form but also in the description of different rooms. I have never had an issue with that. A handful of times people confused which unit they rented. Make sure you have explicit signage on the doors and completely different door codes. Do the two spaces connect on the inside? If they do not, make sure it is clear (my don't) so people renting the whole place know they have to go through the outside to the other part. If they connect, make sure it is blocked in such a way that if you are renting them separately, they can not walk into each others space and that it is not only locked but clear to them. In other words, both sides have no doubt that there no one can walk in on them

Sarah4001
Level 2
Aurora, CO

Thank you Inna22.

Both units have smart lock access. Each unit is coded separately. Only for housekeeping has full access. So correct, neither party could just walk-in on the other.

Additionally, the front doors/ main access on the two units have two very distinctive colors each: Turquoise and Fuchsia. I have been sending individual check-in instructions with photos indicating the turquoise door to their Suite. I enter and live at the "fuchsia" level.  So far no issues. And correct, the door code would not work otherwise. If the whole house was rented out to one family, they would have to go around, not thru the house as that's set up as the housekeeping area.

I like your three-listings mentioned: Top, Bottom and Whole.

Thanks again Inna in Chicago!

Sarah in Denver~