Considering making my AirBnB pet friendly - best way to handle pet fee

Jessica3441
Level 2
Appleton, WI

Considering making my AirBnB pet friendly - best way to handle pet fee

Hello!  I am fairly new with my AirBnB (8 months) and have a beachfront home in Costa Rica.   I started out in the high season and have done extremely well with bookings  (yay!).  Now that it's low season, there are less Americans traveling but it still is desirable for those in Costa Rica to head to the beach for a weekend to surf and hang out.  In the low season (Sept - Nov), where I don't yet have any bookings, I think I could increase bookings by being open to accepting 1-2 dogs.  From my understanding through AirBnB I would need to charge one flat fee and it's spread out as a nightly fee.  ideally I'd like to add the fee after they book so I can charge it as a per night fee (example $25/dog per night) after I share the pet agreement with them.  

1. What do you think is a reasonable per night pet fee?  Being on the beach I know there will be a mess of sand in the house + wear & tear + fur on furniture, stains, etc.  

2. Is your preference to add it through AirBnB fee upfront or as a reservation change based on # nights?  Can you explain why for each scenerio?  

Thanks!

17 Replies 17

@Ea7 Thanks for sharing your experience, it's very helpful!

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Jessica3441 , You've received many advice from Hosts @Ea7 @Loren3156 @Jennifer3604 and @Sandrine1111 . Have you picked up their tips and implemented them based on your requirements? 

I also wanted to share a few Airbnb articles, in case you're looking for some references : 👉What you need to know about hosting pets 👈

Do keep us posted how you're moving forward with pet fees!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thanks for this article. 

RitaAnn~