Enough already, no more discounts

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

Enough already, no more discounts

I re-opened the calendar for my long-term rental apartment four days ago.  Since then I've received six inquiries, and four of them have requested an additional reduction beyond the monthly discount that's already offered.  I have done some searches in my area, and we are already very competitively priced at the lower end of comparable rentals. Most of these blue light shoppers (American slang for bargain shoppers at the mostly defunct discount store chain, Kmart) are new to Airbnb, and all have no reviews.  I don't know what they've read or heard, but somehow they are under the impression that ABB is where you can negotiate rates.

Today, I received this inquiry.

Inquirer (joined 2018, no reviews):  Hi I’m a travel nurse looking for a place while I’m working in the area. I have a couple of questions. Will I have the entire apartment to myself? Are the pictures accurate and recent of the apartment?Thank you!

Also my housing budget is around $2000 for taxes and fees included. Are you willing to give any additional discounts?

Me: Hi XX,

The guest's access to the apartment access is exactly as listed in the description, "It is self-contained, and has its own private entrance and amenities." The pictures are accurate of the current state. The definition of recent is subjective.

No additional discounts are offered beyond what's listed, because I don't support people living beyond their means. Also, as a home owner, it is my reasoning that if a person cannot afford the rent, then it's very likely they can't afford to pay for accidental/incidental damages they might cause.

(Inner voice, who's forbidden to speak with guests):  OMG, OMG!!! Not another "it's my world, and you're all just squirrels" thinking person who believes that things should be reset to accommodate their limitations (reading, comprehension, budget, etc.).  Please take stop relying upon whatever you read online or what your cousin's sister-in-law's brother's wife's uncle said about getting an XX month-long luxury condo rental on ABB for $5 per night, because he told the host that's all he could afford.  You are not entitled to stay somewhere that you can't afford.  Put on your big-girl undies and live within your budget, and stop wasting my time and other host's time.
35 Replies 35

@Kelly149 

"...abb could have a "you can ask the host to change terms or fees" button enabled that hosts could opt in/out on.."     

VOTE

"...I'm with you, that educating guests on how this all works is labor I'm not being paid for and I'd just as well prefer not to do.

DITTO

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kelly149 

@Kelly149 wrote:

how hard would it be for abb to put out a blip that says something like "consider the market and the host's perspective before asking for a discount. Your host is likely quite serious about their offerings and their pricing. Asking for a discount may create the assumption that you don't have an appropriate budget for travel."

It wouldn't be difficult, but I don't think Airbnb would ever communicate this to a guest. They don't bother to educate guests on much more basic things and they hide our house rules as much as they can. Even the cancellation policy on the listing isn't as clear as it used to be.

I do like the suggestion though of a button for the discount seekers, which would of course be optional for the host to use nor not, kind of how you can list some as a 'buy it now' on Ebay for a fixed price, but also include a 'make an offer' button too if you like.

My only worry is that it would help to create more of a bargain hunting culture on Airbnb. If guests see that as an option on some listings, I bet you they are going to ask hosts of listings where it does not appear regardless. They may start to think it's the norm to get an additional discount. Even on Ebay, where this system seems to work well overall, I've had people message me with ridiculously low offers when I had not selected the 'make an offer' option at all. 

I received five enquiries in the past week. Four of them were asking for things that are clearly stated in my listing as not possible, including:

- Booking for a couple when the room states one person only

- Guest wanting boyfriend to stay for part of the trip but didn't want to pay the extra person fee

- Mum trying to do third party booking for her young daughter and asking all sorts of odd questions

- Guest asking if bathrooms were shared, for details of other guests' schedules,  if she could install her own lock, if the room was renovated (look at the pictures, please) and if the roof/ceiling was safe as it was an old house.

Really? The only sensible one was someone asking me how long it would take to get to her workplace.

Anyway, you know what I mean. People want what they want (whether that's an additional discount or something else) and somehow convince themselves that there is a chance they will get it, even if your listing already says NOOOO!!!

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

I just send them a list of other local listings that are within their budget. Done. Everybody happy.

@Elaine701 the search function can do this for them. I want to be paid for people to visit my space; I'm not being paid to help people manage themselves and their ability to use the internet. Hosts shouldn't be driving this. ABB publicity and CS, sure.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Kelly149 

Oh, it's not just to be nice. It's to send a message; "You're seeking something beyond your means and I'm not desperate for bookings, so here's where you should be looking".

BTW, I have these local listings saved already. Copy/paste. Adios!

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

I've learned over time that guests that ask/demand/expect discounts only ask for more once they receive a discount. And THEN, if you DON'T give them exactly what they ask for, the guest will leave a 3-star review or less.

In the end…..This budget type of guest will give you a rating of 2 on value even if you do give them a discount.  They’re just cheap. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

I don't discount. I say: "Thanks for your interest! Our pricing is firm. I am happy to direct you to some great hosts in the area who may be more in line with your budget-- do let me know if you need some recommendations. Best of luck in your search!"

Its very rare that anyone takes me up on that. I think maybe only once or twice in many many inquiries. Discounts are a slippery slope to a entitled guests and bad experiences. I agree with saying no. 

Nikki58
Level 2
Elgin, United Kingdom

I agree that the discount algorithms are over used.  Airbnb needs to understand they shouldn't be a standard and learn to set the discount algorithms  to use/ offer them less. 

Ghaith1
Level 2
Kitchener, Canada

worst yet are the ones that book and do everything they can to get a discount. contacting airbnb is no use as they will simply take their side.  some guests  stay for mutiple days then claim the place was not clean when they arrived. at this point im starting to see no value in hosting and might just turn back to traditional rent 

Before you give up the ghost, maybe try one more thing? Video the place before the guests arrive.

I found the idea here (thank you whoever recommended this) and just did it for the first time. I made a 5 minute video of our cottage that I will delete and replace with a new video before the next guest arrives. I expect videos to get shorter once I get the hang of this.

I think one could even ask a housekeeper to video (if you live far from your rental property). (My housekeepers might already be photographing for their own purposes)

It's time and date stamped evidence of what you're providing to the guest.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Karla533,

Who are you responding to in reference to giving up the ghost, and taking videos of the place?

The gentleman from Canada who is thinking of giving up STR because of guests lying about things (see post supra).

Although I guess it sounded like taking videos of a ghost!!! I don't think my cottage is haunted but you neveh know! :))

@Karla533  You should use the tagging function to indicate who you are replying to.

Sorry you got confused, it's a long thread  @Sarah977