Fees

Kevin2172
Level 3
Oakland, CA

Fees

Hi,

I’m pretty new to Airbnb as a host and just want to confirm the fee structure. Guests pay 15% and Hosts pay 3% for a total of 18% to Airbnb. (For clarity sake, I’m not going to mention the cleaning fee or local taxes). Is this correct? 

TIA

Kevin

3 Replies 3
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Kevin2172 

Not always.

Airbnb has a sliding scale and I don't know the details. It's complicated.

Apparently the rates for more expensive properties are lower. I guess there's also an adjustment for long-term stays.

Someone else might know the actual formula.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kevin2172 @Brian2036  I don't think anyone but the financial folks at Airbnb know the formula. Guest fees are anywhere from 12%-25%, as far as I'm aware, but I doubt any hosts or guests are privy to how or why it varies.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Kevin2172   Guest fees to AirBnB are on a sliding scale and can change at will.   What guests pay in fees is not an expense to the host, payable to the host or reimburseable by the host.

The 3% fee paid by hosts is for the credit card processing charges which AirBnB passes through to us.  Keep track of these costs as you can write it off on your Schedule E or C.  The 3% is applied to the booking rate you receive, the taxes charged and the fees paid to AirBnB.