Fixing payout currency for non-EU Hosts

Miroslav84
Level 2
BG, Serbia

Fixing payout currency for non-EU Hosts

Hello all, 

I just recently started hosting on Airbnb and have selected a payout method „ Wire transfers in EUR “. I live in Europe, and although in my country EUR is not the official currency, it is widely used.

I decided to change the account I use for payouts, and selected another account, but didn’t notice that Airbnb just changed the only possible currency to USD.

So, I live in Europe where:

-          EUR is the most common used currency.

Banks don’t have readily available US Dollars on them so it’s a whole process if I want to withdraw cash. Also, if I want to change it to EUR, I must go thru my local currency, so I must make 2 conversion and lose money on both.

-          All prices for my listing are in EUR

My listing price is in EUR and when I talk about prices I talk in EUR, yet all earnings and payouts are calculated in USD. This is ridiculous. Its extremely hard for me to calculate these things, cos the currency I charge for my listing is not the same as the currency Airbnb calculates my earnings. And finally, it’s not the currency it pays me out in.

-          I haven’t got an option to pick my local currency payouts

Local currency, RSD, would be fine, but I haven’t got this option either.

-          I had EUR payouts just a month ago

I had EUR payout option up until a month ago when I changed my payout account number going back – support says.

No one in Europe uses USD! –If I change my country to an EU one, it will give me an option for EUR and local currency?! But if you pick any country outside of EU, but still in Europe it will give you just USD.

Airbnb’s support investigated the matter and replied:

The only options available for payout in Serbia are as displayed on the screenshot you have provided (USD).

I hope Airbnb finds a way not to discriminate people in Europe but outside of EU!

4 Replies 4
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Miroslav84 

I suspect that Airbnb's payment processor is unable to support your local currency, and defaults to USD. But yes, I know what you mean, since USD is not used here and for all practical purposes, is an unwelcome (and expensive) extra payment processing hurdle. 

Sorry I can't be of much help, but if your previous bank arrangement enabled you to be paid in EUR, then perhaps you can return to that account? 

Miroslav84
Level 2
BG, Serbia

The worst issue is that prices are shown in EUR but earning are calculated in USD...

Tomislav70
Level 1
BG, Serbia

Hi there, I've recently started hosting and am running into the same issue, seems like this wasn't fixed, @Miroslav84 did you find out anything in the meantime? 

Marjan86
Level 1
Novi Sad, Serbia

Same problem here. @Miroslav84 . I suppose this is something we can not change for now... 

But the bigger concern is if AirBnB is also taking exchange fees?

I have a Payoneer in EUR. My listing is in EUR, but transfer is in USD. Will this make some hidden conversion/fee costs?