Guest broke sofa which now needs replacing. Next steps?

Hugh191
Level 2
Hampsthwaite, United Kingdom

Guest broke sofa which now needs replacing. Next steps?

A guest has managed to somehow break the frame of our sofa and it will need replacing. They have informed us that they did it. We naively thought we were covered by Aircover but it transpires that this is not the case and that we need to ask the guest to pay. 

We stay in airbnbs frequently and I know as a guest I would be extremely upset if asked to pay for a brand new sofa if we somehow damaged one. I want to be fair to our guest and also don’t want a bad review, we are currently at 100% 5 star reviews. I am thinking we maybe ask for £500 as this is the amount that I have sometimes had to pay as a security deposit with other sites, not Airbnb. What would you do? Is this too much or not enough? A like for like replacement is likely to be around £2500

It will take some time to replace the sofa so in the mean time we are anticipating bad reviews from our next guests! I think we will have to offer them a partial refund and/or option to cancel. The web page describing aircover states 

What’s covered

Host damage protection covers you for:

Income lost if you need to cancel confirmed Airbnb bookings due to damage caused by a guest (or their invitees)

however customer support were adamant this was not covered when i discussed with them.

Any thoughts or advice?

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Hugh191 I do wonder if the sofa was faulty unless the guest did something very stupid. If it was faulty then there is no claim - If the guest was stupid then surely they deserve to pay for their damage. Cancelling future guests seems extreme so I doubt Airbnb will pay anything if you do. 

I don't know how 'high end' your place is but have you looked on Facebook Marketplace for a replacement sofa? Generally they are very cheap.

Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Hugh191 

Do you live nearby? I would just take a sofs from my home and put it in the Airbnb temporarily. I certainly would not cancel bookings if there was any alternative. Using your home sofa for a while will give you time to find a suitable replacement - one often makes a poor or impractical choice under pressure.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why would you need to cancel upcoming guests many places offer next day delivery and Argos does same day @Hugh191