Guest from Hong Kong

Chris14085
Level 2
United Kingdom

Guest from Hong Kong

My listing is a private room with private ensuite bathroom in my house where I live alone. The house is four bedrooms with three bathrooms two of these are ensuite 

The small kitchen is shared 

I have a gentleman enquiring from Hong Kong who is coming to work nearby and wants to book 

He says he will be in quarantine for 10 days after arriving - his arrive date is 26 May - do you know the rules well enough to say if this is allowed - I think it's ok 

I have had both vaccinations here and am negative and am happy to host him but want to be sure all OK 

He has had 2 BioNtech vaccinations in Hong kong and will also have a negative covid test certificate on his arrival in the UK and will also submit a PCR test by post to the NHS on his 2nd day here and again at day 10

During his 10 day isolation we will maintain social distance and wear face masks when he leaves his room to use the kitchen 

I expect to be out away from the house most of the time 

He will use the kitchen alone - only one of us at a time 

Common surfaces we both touch will be continually sterilised and cleaned like stair handrail, door handles work surfaces in kitchen 

All crockery knives and forks will be sterilised through the dishwasher 

I will food shop for him and keep him supplied with food items he asks for he can also use items in the fridge 

We will both observe hands face space during his stay 

n

Inside my house he will isolate in the listing room and ensuite bathroom - he will use the shared kitchen on his own and we will wear masks when he is outside his room to use the kitchen  

I will be able to go outside and carry on my life normally to come and go freely 

After 10 days isolation and confirmation he is negative PCR tested he will go out to work each day 

We will maintain social distance throughout the time of his stay also 

Does this sound ok to you 

I'm a super host committed to Airbnb advanced cleaning also 

Chris 

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Chris14085  I can't say what the regs are in the UK, but I'm sure some UK hosts will chime in.

As far as Covid safety, it sounds quite vigilant, which is good, and because both if you are vaxxed, and are into masking, and distancing, there's not that much risk, IMO.

If weather permits, I would try to keep windows open as much as possible to keep fresh air flowing, especially in the kitchen that you'll both be using.

I'm also a home share host with much the same set-up. Guests have their room and ensuite bath, and even an outside private entrance. They share my kitchen. I haven't hosted since last March, but once I get vaxxed, I will feel okay about hosting guests in much the same way you describe.

I don't know if you read the study that just came out of MIT, but something really interesting and important to know is that they found that in shared indoor spaces, 6 ft of distance doesn't really help. They found active virus particles floating in the air 60 ft from where they were released. So all this business where restaurants have indoor tables spaced out, while people are eating without masks, or gyms and yoga classes where people are spaced out, isn't even slightly safe. It's even worse if there are fans which spread the virus particles around. 

That's great to know thank you so much 

I also have places I can go after May 17 so might leave him here and go off somewhere during his isolation period 

Again 

Thank you it's good to share