HOMEOWNERS / VACATION RENTAL INSURANCE COMPANY RECOMMENDATION.

Linda4616
Level 2
Valley Center, CA

HOMEOWNERS / VACATION RENTAL INSURANCE COMPANY RECOMMENDATION.

I have been hosting for almost 10 yrs. in California in the San Diego County area and I am looking for a company that has Fire Ins./ other coverages other than just Liability as my rental is over our 4-car garage which is all attached to our home so I am looking for the a homeowners / Fire / other coverages for my rental / home as well.  I am also searching out Vrbo's Proper Ins. but does anyone have any other recommendations. ??

Thank you,

Linda

8 Replies 8
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Linda4616 , Welcome to the Community 🌻

Reliable insurance coverage is surely an important factor to consider while hosting. Did you finalize any particular insurance provider through internet research?

I'm reaching out to a few Community members from California, if they have any tried and tested leads for us in this regards : @Kitty-and-Creek0 @Vergie1 @Jennifer1897 @Eduardo2134 @Virginia851 . Looking forward to know! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi Bhumika;

Yes, I am having a tough time with being in Southern CA getting a reasonable price for Fire Insurance / Homeowners / Vacation Rental Insurance as our home is attached to the rental over our 4-car garage.  California has this Fair Plan which is soooo expensive which more than doubles our Ins.  I have also tried USAA , and that was a NO but could have been good.  Tried Proper Ins. through VRbo and that was a NO except a Liability Package.  I need Help ------  I have a call in to CBIZ  who specializes in Homeowners / Vacation Rental so awaiting their reply.

Linda

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Oh no @Linda4616, hope it works out for you soon!

While we wait for our Host members to chime in for support, I'd also recommend to connect with regional Hosts by posting your question in nearest Local Host Club to you in the meantime.

Do keep us posted how it goes with CBIZ. Your findings would be really useful to fellow Hosts and new Hosts visiting our community.🌻 All the best!

-----

Hi Bhumika;

I am horrified as to the search so far and I am searching high and low !!  So far I have been turned down by Proper Ins., Vrbo's recommendation and I just heard from CBIZ who specializes in Vacation Rentals and they turned me down as well.  I have requested a quote from Farmers / Calif. Fair Plan and they want to charge me $12,304 for fire only plus a companion policy for $1,700  / Aegis which is mostly Gen'l Liability.  I also have another quote from an agent I have worked with in the past and he gave me for the Calif. Fair Plan $9,700 - Fire Only and a companion policy for Gen'l Liability $1,700.  I still have some other quotes coming in but I am not holding my breath.  If anyone has a suggestion, I would be so grateful.

Linda

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Thanks so much for keeping us posted @Linda4616 !

Have you already posted in a Local Host Club near you? If yes, what are the Hosts recommending to you there? 

-----

Hi @Bhumika;'

Could you send me the link for the Host Club so I get it right in my browser.

Thank you,

Linda

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Linda4616 , I was looking at the Local Host Clubs map provided on this site : https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Local-Host-Clubs/ct-p/en_clubs . I noticed that there isn't a Valley Center , CA local group specifically. But I'd recommend you to look into the map link I've shared above just in case to find the one that could be a good option to join near you. The purple ones in the image I've shared denote the Local Host Clubs Facebook groups in those areas.

Hope it helps! 

Bhumika_0-1717772930931.png

-----

Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

@Linda4616 I have a few friends that host in the Shaver Lake area where they suffered some detrimental fires in the last couple years and have been grappling with insurance policies and astronomical prices. They suggested looking into the California FAIR Plan Association which specifically assist with coverage related to fires. I'm not too versed on available policies, and know the area plays a lot into the specifies of each policy, but all my homes are under Liberty Mutual at the moment. Sorry I couldn't provide more assistance, but hoping you are able to find something the works for your home(s).