Home and Contents Insurance Australia

Stefan4110
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

Home and Contents Insurance Australia

Hi all,

We've been trying to find Home and Contents Insurance for our Airbnb in NSW, Australia. It turned out to be more complicated than expected. We have the main house in which we live and a granny flat the we occasionally rent out as an airbnb on the same property. Most insurances will only provide Home and Contents Insurance if you either don't rent out (regular Home and Contents Insurance) or if you rent out the entire place (landlord insurance allowing short-term rentals), but not if you rent out only part of the place (live in the main house and rent out the granny flat). 

I am interested to see what other hosts experience with this is? The only insurance we found that covered our scenario was GIO, there regular Home and Contents Insurance allows for part of the place to be rented out via short term rentals. 

Thanks,

Stefan

5 Replies 5
Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Stefan4110 👋

As this is a global community, it might be hard to find information for a specific country. You could try your  Local Host Clubs though - it might be worth popping there for more area specific things like  regulations and licences, cleaners and maybe insurance. Please let me know how you get on. 

Rebecca 🌟

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thanks Rebecca, good advice, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Stefan

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

In addition to the great advice my colleague Rebecca has given, I would like to tag three very knowledgeable and kind Hosts from Australia @Cathie19 @Laurelle3@Robin4  who might be able to offer some tips 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Stefan4110 this is a topic that comes up in our local Airbnb FB page. Most of the advice is to enquire with Insurance Brokers.

We personally use Defence Service Homes as my husband was in the Armed Services. We have separate insurance for our cottage on the same property as our main residence. They have covered as a B&B.

Some other hosts use NRMA insurance in NSW.  They log in with the company and pay per person per night and find it satisfactory.

I hope this information helps.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thank you so much for sharing this with @Stefan4110@Laurelle3😊

I hope it was useful to @Stefan4110!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen