Host referral program is not worth it

Shelly203
Level 2
Cheshire, MA

Host referral program is not worth it

I referred a host whose referral was set to expire in 90 days, on September 11. Her first booking checked in on July 31 and checked out on September 1.  The referral in my host account then said “booking complete you will receive payout in 14 business’s days’. 

I waited the 14 days and then saw the referral changed to “this referral has expired” I began calling weekly to inquire about this and am consistently informed that the referral expired and they do not have a mechanism to pay me, even though the guest checked out 10 days before the referral expired. This was a $3,000 booking and both the host an Airbnb were paid. 

The supervisor assigned to my case informs me that it’s a “glitch” in their system and that his department has no way to communicate with the technical team. I am encouraged to “stop inquiring about this issue” because they will be providing the same information. 

This program is a scam. The policy says you will be paid as long as the booking is completed prior to the referral expiring. Not sure why the host is being penalized for a glitch in the system, as they claim. I am a super host and I will NEVER refer anyone again. 

[Title updated by Community Manager for relevancy]

18 Replies 18
Mindy---Tony0
Level 2
Chicago, IL

I am wondering if we need to contact a lawyer. They now are saying my referral didn't sign up under me, when I called multiple times to make sure they did and was told YES and all they need to do is host 3 times. This is a total scam!

Hi,is there anywhere at all that says it was cancelled? Which they should be providing us this information if it was true.

Yea all of the above has been the same issue with me.

They have given all the same answers saying it’s paused and my country Canada since the pandemic.

Yet there is it on my listing and the link worked when my referred me.

It has in their documentation that the Associate referral program was cancelled but not the Refer A Host.

Sometimes they have said yes you’ll receive the payout.

Sometimes they say they will call me back and don’t.

One man told my friend I had to call because they didn’t see it on my end and for me to send a screen shot which I did. They said when I called no it was paused.

So yes it’s all very false advertising and the principle of all this is very wrong!!!

As a new host it’s make me frustrated that they would do this and makes me worry if there is ever an issue how that would  be dealt with.

Rachael-And-Steven0
Level 1
St Kilda, Australia

I recently referred a friend to host, sending them by mobile the link that airbnb generated. Using this link, my friend signed into their airbnb account, created a listing and hosted their first guest. 

2 months now of being sent back and forth by airbnb who say its linked to an old account and not the one he actually created the listing with

Mj10
Level 2
Atherton, CA

The same thing is happening to me right now. It’s terrible and disingenuous of Airbnb to treat us this way.