Hosts need to be aware of aircover/host protection

Drew-and-Ryl0
Level 2
Richmond, TX

Hosts need to be aware of aircover/host protection

I had a guest that was using our washing machine from 4pm to midnight, she messaged me after the house was already flooded at around 1am. She said that there was f27 code, but she thought it was 27mins left which I think is a stupid excuse because after 27mins and she was still having issues, she should have messaged me immediately. From 4pm to midnight is 8 hours and within that time, i never received not even one message from them. It flooded our entire first floor, we tried saving our carpet but it was still soaking wet after vacuuming it the whole day. We decided to remove the carpet and submitted the claim to airbnb. I have estimates from flooring company, mitigation company, and receipts/similar items of the personal damage and it was $20,000+ ish. After 76 days of waiting from airbnb, airbnb/aircover offered me an insulting amount of $959.50, nowhere close to the amount i filed. I am a superhost with 5 stars reviews for almost 5 years and this is what i get. Aircover also dont have phone number to call, whenever I call airbnb, they tell me a scripted answer which is “we will escalate this to the specialize team and they will get back with me via email”. This could be days to weeks before someone gets back with me. It is so stressful and depressing living in a house where it is damage and I thought after having the report from the 3rd party that airbnb hired, finally i will get the payout to fix my house, but it was just another stressful result. To all the hosts, if you experienced something like this, what should you do? If you have not experienced something like this, pls find a way to protect yourself. Airbnb is not as good as they advertised it to be, airbnb said hosts are covered for up to 2MIL, im only asking help for $20k-ish and they offered me $959.50. This is so sad. 

16 Replies 16
Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Drew-and-Ryl0 Try your states insurance commissioner - in WA Airbnb had to pay out and re-evaluate all their claims after it was found they were not licensed in WA to provide insurance. Now all claims have to be independently assessed and they were forced to underwrite with an insurance company 🙂

https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/west/2023/05/16/721063.htm#:~:text=Washington%20Insurance%20Co....

Omg! Thanks for sharing! The 3rd party they hired was not even licensed in Texas as well! Maybe airbnb is the same!