How to update default language in App?

Answered!
Chirag2
Level 1
New Delhi, India

How to update default language in App?

Hi, Lizzie! How do I change the default language in the new app? It was there in settings of the previous version but I can't seem to find it anywhere in the new app. 

**[Title Updated]

1 Best Answer
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Art-City-Inn0, Hope you are doing well!

I wanted to share this article that details the steps to Changing the language on Airbnb on different devices. You can toggle through your preferred devices to know the steps. I hope it helps!

Bhumika_0-1693241157040.png

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

39 Replies 39
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Chirag2,

Thanks for your message. I've just taken a look on the app and you are correct, I couldn't find this option there either. I'm afraid it looks as though this function is something you can only update on the desktop version presently.

I hope this helps.

Lizzie

[I hope you don't mind, to make it easier to find your question here, I have made it into a new topic here in the Help board]

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi - have the same problem: Updated language settings in the desktop version, however my Iphone settings are in German, I still reveive messages in German instaed of English. Any idea to change the language settings in the Iphone App? Yours Peter

Seyni0
Level 1
Zurich, Switzerland

Same here. I use my phone to practice Spanish but I want a different setting in my Airbnb app. Change the desktop version doesn’t help. Lizzie can you help out once more? Why should Airbnb do that? I don’t want to change my whole iPhone settings. There must be a way or it’s  a bug. Sure it will not drive be traffic to the desktop version.

It looks like a bug to me (or several)...

I'm working in IT in Switzerland (4 languages + English), I know how tricky different language settings can be... but I don't understand why airbnb - a company with customers all over the world and hosts, house managers and guests speaking different languages - still hasn't fixed this issue after 4 years. There are posts from 2016 with the same problem... This is really embarrassing!

Actually the only solution I know to change the language settings of Your phone which is not the best.

Application should be updated:

Language selection should be an option and/used language should be recognized automatically at messages plus translation function should be available when needed.

Several times hosts want to use more language according to the guests, which should not be correlated with the language of the whole app. Messaging and rating (communication language) should be handled independently.

Thank You

The problem is that the app (I'm on android) changes the language on my profile to match the language of my phone automatically. I have my phone on Italian for educational purposes, but now my co-host keeps getting notifications in Italian too. This is just unacceptable.

I can change the language back to English from the web page but every time I use the app it changes the language on my profile back to Italian.

I seem to still have this problem in November 2020... sometimes I even believe not having used the app (on the phone with German setting) and still the language in the account's global settings is reset to German and messages being sent in German (which my house manager doesn't understand).

This is unacceptable. Even worse, the default language of the listing seems to be affected by these settings too and I haven't found a solution to change it to English.

Abe11
Level 1
Austin, TX

How can I change my app language back to English? 

Seyni0
Level 1
Zurich, Switzerland

See above. Issue here: I can’t delete the post 😉

Anyone found any solutions to change app language without changing phone language setting? It's been a year since the issue started. Airbnb must have made some improvements that I missed, hasn't it? 

Solomiia0
Level 1
Łódź, Poland

This is completely unacceptable. Here is the situation: my Airbnb app and web browser version changes to Russian language fully or partially all the time! I am Ukrainian, my mobile device language is in Ukrainian,  my web browser language is in English, BUT the app's language suddenly changes to RUSSIAN. Why?? This is so annoying. I re-install app, I check/change settings, but it still does not resolve the issue. I wrote to Helpdesk and didn't get the proper assistance.IMG_20180711_093938[1].pngIMG_20180711_093901[1].png

Have the same problem. I'm really disappointed. 

Kuzma0
Level 2
Palmerston North, New Zealand

I have exactly the same problem.

My phone language is Ukrainian, browser languages are Ukrainian and English, but Airbnb decides that I should be able to read Russian, despite the fact that there is no Russian in my settings anywhere at all. WHAT THE HELL, Airbnb?