Instant Confirmation

Instant Confirmation

Hey guys, I'm not a host, but I have something to share.

We were thinking of making your guests stay more comfortable and cozy.

The idea is simple, after a booking request is done - you send them an automatic message with details of their reservation with a link leading to app store where they can download an app that will help them:

- Unlock the door with their phone
- Connect to wi-fi
- Change the house temperature (optional)
- Change the lighting (opt)
- Do other IOT related things

We thought this would make you a very modern host. What do you guys think, does this sound like something you would go for?

If let's imagine, the service was - 80$ per month.

Will be great to get your opinion!

10 Replies 10
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Amal505  The ability for guests to do all those things already exists.

And it is against Airbnb policy for guests to have to use a 3rd party app to do those things. Plus links are blocked in Airbnb messages.

So no, your idea isn't useful.

@Sarah977  links are not blocked in messages AFTER the booking was done as far as I know

but @Amal505 I don't think guests would like to download some app just to be able to get information about one Airbnb where they intend to stay just 1  or 2 nights, they expect to get all this info on the Airbnb message system or WhatsApp

@Branka-and-Silvia0  Ah, good to know. I guess I just assumed they block 3rd party links altogether. I've never had occasion to try it. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Branka-and-Silvia0 @Sarah977 

But is @Amal505 maybe suggesting the host pays for the service, not the guests?

@Huma0good question... how can the host pay and his guests download?

anyway, I wouldn't pay 80$ a month for some application

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

No, I wouldn't either, but maybe hosts with masses of listings would find it useful. I don't know. $80 seems like a lot though when you consider something like Netflix costs 10% of that.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Huma0  But why would a host pay for that when it has no purpose, as hosts can and do easily provide that info now?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

Well, I wouldn't personally, but I'm small scale. Perhaps if you have a load of listings to manage, it might be helpful. However, $80 a month does seem a bit steep...

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Huma0  The things he is suggesting the app be used for aren't necessary for anyone.

1. Requiring a guest to use a 3rd party app to gain access is against Airbnb policy.

2. Wifi codes are normally not given out to guests until just before arrival or found in the listing. 

3. Adjusting the temperature through an app would require that the listing's heating system was set up for that. And many hosts do not allow guests to adjust the heating or  cooling temp, but will do it themselves if a guest requests it. 

4. Who needs an app to turn lights on or off? That's just absurd. What, people are too lazy to take 6 steps to use a light switch?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

I totally get what you are saying. Personally, I do not do self check in anyway and I certainly do not want guests fiddling with heating controls. In fact, I ask them not to in my house rules.

However, I am a hands on homestay host, not someone who is managing a bunch of listings remotely. Also, a lot of people are really into smart tech these days. It's becoming much more commune so using Apps to manage things like lighting and heating is not unusual at all. Do I need it? No, not really, but some people are really into that stuff.

I have a colleague who uses Alexa, or something similar, to turn on and off all his lights and also adjust them from one colour to another as well as a bunch of other stuff, e.g. turn off the music, turn up the volume, open or close the blinds. It's not as unusual as someone like you or I (who maybe think all this is completely unnecessary) thinks.