Insurance

Gilles213
Level 2
City of Brussels, Belgium

Insurance

Hello everyone, I've had a rather negative experience with airbnb and the aircover insurance for hosts: one of my guests broke the bathtub in one of our bathroom, causing a leak in the room downstairs. Obviously, the traveler refused to pay for the damage (+/- 1000 euros). I therefore sent a request thourgh the resolution centre following scrupulously airbnb's instructions and responded to the additional requests for information. However, yesterday, October 16, I received a reply from airbnb explaining that I had not provided the documents within the deadline (30 days after the initial claim). I immediately challenged this providing evidence through email. Today, the same person accepts my argument but now objects that I should have provided a "causality report from the plumber". THis was the first time that such document was requested and of course after the deadline was passed. I am surprised by the lack of profesionnalism in dealing with this claim and the lack of good faith. Beyond my own unfortunate personal experience, this illustrates the lack of seriousness of airbnb's host cover and makes me shudder if the damage had been of a different nature (fire....). In my opinion, airbnb offers us unrivalled publicity and guarantees for our guests, but if the air cover is non-existent or applied on arandom basis, it's all very worrying. What do you think?

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would never rely on their guarantee but have my own home insurance for STRs @Gilles213 

Gilles213
Level 2
City of Brussels, Belgium

I entirely agree.

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. 

After careful consideration of the information available to date, we determined that your request isn’t eligible for reimbursement at this time.

We came to this outcome because you sent this evidence only after the 30 days timeline has expired. Including the report, that was different and incomplete from this one. Unfortunately this correct one came too late. 

We value your feedback and would like to hear your thoughts on our policies or your experience. You can do so using the following link:    

Anne1057
Level 6
St. John's, Canada

I agree! After a similar experience and reading the numerous posts on this forum, including the mealy-mouthed reply below about the 30 day deadline, I really think a class action lawsuit is appropriate.

Airbnb gives hosts misleading and false information.  Their gross revenue for 2022 was 8.4 BILLION! Presumably a portion of that is from nickle-and-dimeing hosts.