Is Aircover a scam?

Cyril471
Level 1
Berlin, Germany

Is Aircover a scam?

Hello,

I'm coming to write to the community to have new idea on how to proceed because frankly I'm helpless after a while. Airbnb markets the fact that they have an insurance covering very high damages and protecting hosts.
I've been a superhost for 3 months now and during my time as airbnb host never had to ask anything from them, as I would cover for small damages. End of January unfortunately some guest left the apartment in a terrible condition, with even a big hole into the bahtroom door.
I fixed everything and paid for the damages, kept the invoices and was hoping for a quick resolution.
However, for a month and half now:

- Aircover seems to only send an automated messages every 2 days to tell me my case is prioritised and of the utmost importance

- They ignore my reply and don't answer any question for a timeline or to get in touch with them on the phone to help with the resolution

- All the pictures of the damages and invoices have been sent for a month and half now but seems not to be processed

- When discussing the matter with airbnb, airbnb systematically replies that it is aircover matter and they cannot do anything, closing my case

At that point I don't know what to do, I have the feeling the case is lost in a system where there is no way to contact anyone, and feel scammed. I have worked hard to bring the total cost of reparation to around 600$ when it could have been more than 2000 if done by professionals. I've found my apartment destroyed and would at least not to be worried to be ignored like that and have no reimbursement when one of the reason I went to airbnb was the safety in the first place.

Did you have issue with aircover? What did you do to be able to have a resolution?
Thank you in advance.

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Cyril471 If you look closely at its advertising you will see that Airbnb does not call Aircover (for damage) and Insurance product. This is for the simple reason that it is NOT an insurance product and hence is unregulated. Indeed if you look at the Ts&Cs around Aircover they can be summarised as 'we will pay out at our sole discretion - If we do not please go away'. One day I am sure someone will sue them for false advertising.

@Mike-And-Jane0 Thank you for the information I had no idea. I guess I'm not the only one who never has an answer and clear communication on when and how much I could be refunded. It's really not great news because I have put so much effort in this apartment, it is already hard seeing guests damaging the apartment like that. Even harder knowing they can just go away, never be heard of again and I have to pay for all the damages.

@Cyril471 Keep the faith - You may yet get something from Aircover.

Can0
Level 3
Chicago, IL

Hi, I recently had to use it. It all starts clicking the "File a request" button in reservation details under Aircover banner. Similar to you, I had a guest who partied hard in the property and lied about it as well. I filed my request. The request initially goes to the guest and of course being a low life liar, the guest declined it and then you click on another button asking Airbnb to step in. After almost 1 week of review I got paid. they did not reimburse me for everything but still some of my damages were paid based on the invoice amounts. I was very detailed with all the photo evidence and the garbage they left behind. I believe it is not a scam but you have to build a very strong case. also before filing the request I would wait for review period to pass because the guest can leave a negative review in retaliation of they see your claim first.

@Can0 Thank you for the information and the feedback, happy to see that there can be resolution for some people.

In my case it is unfortunately not just a party but a bit more than that.. There was violence in the apartment and the police had to intervene. I filled a complain backed up by the police, took pictures of all the damages and kept the invoices.
I followed the process as you mentioned end of January, when the damages happened, and of course the guest never replied back.

What made me use the word scam in the title is that for all this time there was never a proper review of all the documents I sent, telling me for example that more is needed or it is not compliant. No, all I had during now more than a month and half was just one person telling me every 2 days "Your case is our priority", "we have everything in place to arrive to a resolution", "your satisfaction is of utmost importance to us", but there was never anything concrete, we are discussing reviewing 10 invoices and nothing was there to show me it was even started. When I asked after a while for clear and honest communication on when the matter can be resolved, as I understand a business the size of airbnb may generate a big amount of request, they are dodging the questions as mentioned above.
To me that makes me really think of a scam where you keep the person on the leash for the longest while never delivering anything you are promising.

I see your issues is more complex than mine. However, I still think the time line seems a bit excessive, that is way too long. I was asked for additional proof as well and I had to reply that "it has been 1 week since the incident" i have hired a cleaning crew and everything has been cleaned now. Thus, I can no longer take additional photos or videos; which was the truth and a realistic answer that stopped Airbnb's additional proof requests. There was no progress update on my review as well, whether they started or not. But from the moment of starting the claim and getting paid it took total of 15 days. Even after I got paid, the claim is still open on my dashboard. I inquired why it is not closed, Airbnb said they are still gathering information. It has been a month, I got paid....so what are they still doing is a mystery or what information they are gathering? I wish you patience.