Late Check out fee?

Nathan94
Level 2
Columbia, MD

Late Check out fee?

I have a 11am Check out time. And today's guest didn't leave until 4pm. I feel she should have to pay a penalty for being 5 hours over . Why is there no automatic feature, I should not have to waste my time calling Airbnb for this.

22 Replies 22

And no early check in no matter what also. I need proper time to get the guest out , prep for next customer 

There is no compensation for the extra time.    Then there is no extra time.  No matter what. 

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Robt

I hope you exercised your right to reply and justified your response by mentioning the entitled late check out taken by these chancers?

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Colette

I hope you review this entitled cheapskate honestly as this behaviour is legalised theft of your time and accommodation.

A bit of a cheek really 

I am dealing with this now! Please create a late check out fee button. Some guests  have no respect for the allotted check out time. Hotel charge for lateness, we should be able too. Maybe it will expedite this process.

@Faith47  Message your guest AirBnB's Terms of Service. That should get them out asap. If you put it in your rules you can set a late check out fee, but then this can be hard to collect and encourage gets also to stay late. 

8.2.2 You agree to leave the Accommodation no later than the checkout time that the Host specifies in the Listing or such other time as mutually agreed upon between you and the Host. If you stay past the agreed upon checkout time without the Host's consent (“Overstay”), you no longer have a license to stay in the Accommodation and the Host is entitled to make you leave in a manner consistent with applicable law. In addition, you agree to pay, if requested by the Host, for each twenty-four (24) hour period (or any portion thereof) that you Overstay, an additional nightly fee of up to two (2) times the average nightly Listing Fee originally paid by you to cover the inconvenience suffered by the Host, plus all applicable Guest Fees, Taxes, and any legal expenses incurred by the Host to make you leave (collectively, "Overstay Fees"). Overstay Fees for late checkouts on the checkout date that do not impact upcoming bookings may be limited to the additional costs incurred by the Host as a result of such Overstay. If you Overstay at an Accommodation, you authorize Airbnb (via Airbnb Payments) to charge you to collect Overstay Fees. A Security Deposit, if required by a Host, may be applied to any Overstay Fees due for a Guest’s Overstay.

https://www.airbnb.com/terms#sec8

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Faith0

To discourage late check outs I clearly state breakfast is between the hours of 08:00 and 08:30 hours which means they are UP and at least dressed.

Check out is clearly stated as BEFORE 10:00 hours and on 3 years I've only had 2 sets of chancers whom I had to remind at 10:30 hours it was time they left

I do not clean my accommodations so I never give a late check out or early check in, unless it’s last minute and I know for a fact my housekeeper won’t be cleaning until later or has already cleaned.

Most guests are amazing about leaving on time. I’ve only had a few who weren’t. One woman was downright awful- marching over to complain to my property manager while she’s already an hour and a half late to leave. 

Some bad apples feel entitled. They don’t stop to think how their actions affect your life. Or they don’t care one bit. Just because a person is paying money for your space and they are relaxing on vacation doesn’t mean they get to decide how the rules work. They are coming into your home! And it doesn’t mean they can inconvenience you. Or, in my case, the hard working housekeeper.

While this woman was running around talking to my manager, my housekeeper was waiting in her car across the street. She had six cleans that day. Did the lady even care that my H got home at ten at night and could have gotten home in time to help put her grandsons to bed if she had had the chance to clean on time? No. It never crossed her mind.

Dont be afraid to tell people the rules. Most people actually appreciate clear and upfront boundaries. They make for pleasant relationships. And if someone doesn’t respect yours, you respect yourself. Your time is valuable too.

Mary1211
Level 5
Somerville, MA

From the AirBnB ToS on OverStaying, and what hosts are entitled to-

Accommodation and the Host is entitled to make you leave in a manner consistent with applicable law. In addition, you agree to pay, if requested by the Host, for each twenty-four (24) hour period (or any portion thereof) that you Overstay, an additional nightly fee of up to two (2) times the average nightly Listing Fee originally paid by you to cover the inconvenience suffered by the Host, plus all applicable Guest Fees, Taxes, and any legal expenses incurred by the Host to make you leave (collectively, "Overstay Fees")

From here: https://www.airbnb.com/terms