Laundry Monthly rental

Robert5607
Level 2
Tucson, AZ

Laundry Monthly rental

We are new and did not specify the laundry and Cleaning charges for a 31 day stay.  I would like to try to negotiate

the industry norm for monthly stays in the USA.  How do I find that.

Bert

22 Replies 22
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Robert5607 There is no industry norm. You just need to agree with your tenant/guest what they want and what they are willing to pay.

In many ways sucking up the costs at least allows you to check the condition of the property regularly.

By the way I used tenant in the first sentence on purpose. Have you inadvertently created a tenancy with a 31 day stay in Arizona? 

Robert5607
Level 2
Tucson, AZ

Thank you.  We are newborns in this venture.  They are always and only Guests. Interestingly enough nt dad was in the Arizona state House of Representives.  He helped write and get passed.The landlord tenant act.  I never read it.  But, Guests can be asked to leave up to a point; a Tenant will need to be evicted.  I did not check laundry in the post so my position is strong ......but kindness rules.  Thanknyou again

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Robert5607 If you have never read the landlord/tenant act how do you know you have a guest not a tenant?

From discussion with him and Television.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Robert5607 

I understand that some hosts offer long term guests optional weekly maid service on a pay-as-you go basis.

If they pay cash plus a tip they get what they paid for.

Or guests could pay in advance through the Resolution Center.

To determine an appropriate cost you might check with Merry Maids or some other corporate cleaning service online.

All I know is: It ain’t cheap.

Thank you.  I am going to offer two sets of sheets and towels a week and access to cleaning supplies/equipment.  I then will adjust my listing.

@Robert5607 who changes their sheets twice a week? Also for the cost of laundry perhaps offer a changing service for said sheets so that you can check the state of the property regularly.

Robert5607
Level 2
Tucson, AZ

Actually That act was written about 50 years ago.  Tom Bodett used to say be our "Guest" when advertising for Motel 6.  You are quite wise and that is a good question.

I actually do not know to a point I  can note case law .  if i take money for someone to

stay here they would need to be evicted with a court order.  Since Airbnb is renting the unit from me and a Guest opts to not leave the police are called and  the "guest" is treated like a trespasser? So I was told.

@Robert5607  Airbnb is not "renting the unit from me". Airbnb is a listing service and you, the host, are renting the unit to Airbnb guests. 

Once a guest stays long enough to be considered a tenant in your jurisdiction, usually 30 days, they become a tenant in the eyes of the law. 

All Airbnb will do if the guest is objectionable, or stops paying and is then a squatter, is send the guest a message telling them they have to leave, and telling you the booking is no longer supported by Airbnb.

At that point you are on your own and will have to deal with an eviction just as you would if it was a tenant who came to you through other venues.

Thank you Sarah, my ignorance is abounding.  It is kind of you to help.  I may of gotten myself into a dark place.   I have been getting long term request from "Guests" who did not exist  on Airbnb a week ago..

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Robert5607 

There are people trolling for new listings like yours and some of them are not very nice.

Be VERY careful with new users who may not be new at all. They may be concealing a problematic history.

Others may be what they appear to be. Try to engage them in polite conversation about what they expect and maybe some interesting information will come out.

Robert5607
Level 2
Tucson, AZ

Thank you so much Brian,

Too many of the requests  are pushing for long term with  not defined arrangements.  Maybe Airbnb should include this issue in their newbie education.   

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Robert5607  I think you may be uninformed of the difference between an Inquiry and a Request. If you don't want to take long term bookings, you need to use your availibility settings to a maximum 2 week booking or whatever. 

Guests will then not be able to enter dates longer than that. If it's an Inquiry message, that's just a way for guests to ask questions, and you don't have to either pre-approve or decline an Inquiry-all you need to do is message back within 24 hours. So if you get an Inquiry message asking you to rent to them long term, you just message back that you don't take bookings of more than XX days.

Thank you. I believe I can adjust to this.

Bert