Libel suits for false reviews?

Answered!

Libel suits for false reviews?

Has anyone successfully sued Airbnb for a libelous guest review?  We had a recent guest who made an allegation, with no evidence. We have evidence to prove they are wrong. Their public review  will harm our business. 

"Libel laws allow you to pursue a claim for compensation if you are the victim of written defamation. If someone makes a false statement of fact about you that harms your reputation, you may be able to make a libel claim." 

I have been a host for 10 years and the listing in question is in the top 1% so this is the only time I have experienced this.

Thank you.

Top Answer

UPDATE: Good news. Airbnb did end up removing the review.  The reason? There was no link between anything in the house and the guest choosing to leave after spending fewer than 24 hours based on "a migraine." The guest could not prove anything about the house caused the migraine and had to leave "for reasons unrelated to the stay."

Per Airbnb: 

• Reviews must provide relevant information about the reviewer’s experience with the Host, guest, stay, or Experience that would help other community members make informed booking and hosting decisions.
  • If a guest never arrived for their stay or Experience, or had to cancel due to circumstances unrelated to that stay or Experience, their review may be removed.

View Top Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Lisa1980 

Airbnb posted the review something you agreed to when you signed up.

A review that I didn't like a product is legal.

If the review said you planted mold because you didn't like her race that is provable defamation.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

I thought your response to this guests review was perfect. @Lisa1980 

I don't think there is anything libellous in the guests review of you and it doesn't appear to not meet Airbnbs review policy . 

in your position as frustrating  as it feels, I would just move on

it's a shame though you weren't more honest in your review about the guest to help warn your fellow hosts 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Lisa1980 I don't think you can sue Airbnb for libel but you could go after the guest. Problem is you need their name and address which Airbnb will not give you without a court order. I have no idea is a libel suit would be successful or not.

UPDATE: Good news. Airbnb did end up removing the review.  The reason? There was no link between anything in the house and the guest choosing to leave after spending fewer than 24 hours based on "a migraine." The guest could not prove anything about the house caused the migraine and had to leave "for reasons unrelated to the stay."

Per Airbnb: 

• Reviews must provide relevant information about the reviewer’s experience with the Host, guest, stay, or Experience that would help other community members make informed booking and hosting decisions.
  • If a guest never arrived for their stay or Experience, or had to cancel due to circumstances unrelated to that stay or Experience, their review may be removed.

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Lisa1980, we're very glad to hear this. Thank you so much for the update!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad