Mexico hosting with RFC tax number not being verified by airbnb

Vince1247
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Mexico hosting with RFC tax number not being verified by airbnb

I entered my Mexico RFC and CURP tax numbers into the airbnb application as they suggested to reduce the tax to the Mexican government from 20% to 4% (and other changes as well) and immediately received an email that the RFC could not be verified and to re-enter the RFC number.  I have since re-entered the tax number/information multiple times as suggested by airbnb.

I entered the RFC info on  Jan. 28.  From that point on I have been trying to get the RFC verified and the taxes changed but so far, they just don't seem to know how to verify the number and change the tax structure.  The number is correct and VRBO immediately after entering in their system make the tax changes.

Has anyone else had this problem?  I am back trying to get help for I think the fifth time today with airbnb.  I even sent them my RFC document and other documents trying to help them get this taken care of.

One other thing, they are supposed to provide monthly tax statement with my associated RFC number.

I am out of ideas on this, again if anyone knows why the RFC number was not verified and or has experienced this issue please let me know.

Thanks

Vince

5 Replies 5
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Vince1247 

Did you manage to get the help you needed with this yet?

If not let us know and we'll see if we can help.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Jenny,

Nope, I am still going back and forth with airbnb on this.  I think I have dealt with six different people.  They kept telling me that the "system" that verifies the RFC number cannot be looked at or checked and to keep re-submitting the RFC number in their "system".  Finally after explaining to one of the support people that the system is code and a software engineer could certainly figure this out if the ticket could be forwarded to their IT department.  Even if a vendor wrote the code for their system there would be a process by which a ticket could be forwarded to the vendor.

I did get a message somewhat recently that engineers were working on the problem so hopefully I will here something soon.

I also received a message from them that I needed to update my tax information.  When I asked specifically what tax information here is there response:

There are different ways of updating and changing US taxpayer information.

When making changes, it’s important to be aware that Airbnb validates US taxpayer information with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

For answers to other questions about reviews, check out this article in the Help Center: www.airbnb.com/help/question/417?

I did update the W-9 information which I have done a couple of times as well.  I had to assume this is what they meant.  The question is does there application check the RFC number along with other information or does it just check the RFC only.  If other things along with the RFC are checked such as the W-9 info etc. which appears to be the case then someone should look at my information and determine why the RFC is not being verified.

My next step will be to write the CEO, CIO and head of customer support for airbnb and see if they can help get this resolved.

Vince

Hello Vince,

Same RFC problem here. Did you ever work it out? I hope you did. If so do tell. 

Thanks.

Hello!

I have the exact same issue. It's a challenge to get anyone to understand this complicated process. The difference between 20% and 4% is significant. In my case it makes hosting on AirBnB not quite worth it. When I try to input the correct RFC # I get:

"Error. Could not complete request, input was malformed."

This has been a frustrating start to our first time hosting. Not sure we will keep our listing up if we cannot sort this out somehow. I wonder what ever happened with Vince.

Hello Jc115, I did finally get the RFC to work but I went through so many iterations and such a long process that I just don't remember exactly how it was finally accepted.  I do not believe that I ever got the message input was malformed however.  I am coming to the end of the 2023 tax year and yes the 4% is seems way better than the automatic 20% they take out without the RFC.  However, I am not sure what the final result will be with the taxes, I hired a Mexico tax expert who I pay 100.00 USD per month and like here in the US you can write off all of the same things for the rental so i am waiting in great anticipation for my final tax bill.

I will try and figure out how I did resolve the issue with getting the RFC entered and if I can remember I will let you know.  

Thanks

Vince