Missing items from rental - what to do?

Answered!
Mari38677
Level 2
Cary, NC

Missing items from rental - what to do?

We've been renting our property for 2 years now, mostly in the summer. Typically we check the property in between stays but could not for the past two. I found 3 things missing, a duvet slightly damaged -- total value of $200. Do I chalk it up to the cost of renting the place and leave it alone -- replace items out of pocket? Or, do I file a claim and leverage insurance protection used with the last rental? I should probably let it go as cost of doing business but this is the first time we'd had any issue. I guess we are fortunate overall! Thoughts?

1 Best Answer
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Mari38677  I chalk up damages to linens to the cost of doing business.  If this is the first time that you have had a duvet damaged, congratulations on having had good guests!

What is the extent of the damage?  A tear?  An unsightly stain?  I have actually "repaired" a damaged duvet cover by sewing a patch over it -- the patch was a decorative square with a drawn-on design -- looked like I had personalized the duvet.  Or I just chuck it into the rag bin or mark it with a fat sharpie as a "DOG SHEET" for guests to use as a furniture cover for their dogs (even though I do ask for no dogs on furniture, due to guests who treat their animals like children, dog sheets save me a lot of headaches and doggie lovers tend to use them).

I have never bothered a guest about missing pillows or damaged towels, linens or items under $100 unless I can prove maliciousness.  I do have a slush fund for damages, and I shop a lot of sales to find duvets, linens and other items to rotate into the property as needed.  That includes hair dryers, small kitchen tools, dishes, flatware, etc.  

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Mari38677  I chalk up damages to linens to the cost of doing business.  If this is the first time that you have had a duvet damaged, congratulations on having had good guests!

What is the extent of the damage?  A tear?  An unsightly stain?  I have actually "repaired" a damaged duvet cover by sewing a patch over it -- the patch was a decorative square with a drawn-on design -- looked like I had personalized the duvet.  Or I just chuck it into the rag bin or mark it with a fat sharpie as a "DOG SHEET" for guests to use as a furniture cover for their dogs (even though I do ask for no dogs on furniture, due to guests who treat their animals like children, dog sheets save me a lot of headaches and doggie lovers tend to use them).

I have never bothered a guest about missing pillows or damaged towels, linens or items under $100 unless I can prove maliciousness.  I do have a slush fund for damages, and I shop a lot of sales to find duvets, linens and other items to rotate into the property as needed.  That includes hair dryers, small kitchen tools, dishes, flatware, etc.  

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Mari38677 If you are responsible for your own linen then the trick is to have a system for all beds , pillows , sheets , pillow cases.count your linen and always know if something has gone missing with which guest . I agree with Lorna about not worrying about some damage to linen but it is expensive to replace , so always be sure who took it and charge for it or at least ask.Some duvet covers and bedspeads or quilts or extra blankets can be personal to the house and are not 'up for grabs". so count and take pics before guests arrival.. Good Luck.. H

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Mari38677 As you can't say which of the recent guests you are claiming from a claim would be potentially unfair and unlikely to be paid. I am afraid this will just need to be chalked up as a tax deduction.