My first Airbnb

Petia1
Level 2
North Myrtle Beach, SC

My first Airbnb

Why is my beach view Airbnb  not renting ? 

the price is good , the flammability is good, the location is excellent,

is it because I have 0 rating? 

11 Replies 11

@Petia1   Having a new/unreviewed listing is a double-edged sword. You have a temporary boost in the search results for a few weeks to increase exposure and page views, but on the other hand, guests are taking a huge leap of faith if they choose an untested rental that they can't even be sure is genuine.

To better earn their confidence, it helps to have a complete listing, with all the descriptions filled out with useful details ("The space" should actually describe the home's layout and amenities) and good quality photos.

Also, it is probably a mistake to list a 1-bedroom 1-bath with an occupancy of 4. That actually pushes your listing down in searches for 1 or 2 guests, and those are the ones it is truly suitable for. A group of 4 will either quickly recognize that it's far too small and cramped for their needs and book elsewhere, or book but ultimately give you a bad review.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Petia1  "The flammability" ??? That means it could easily catch fire. I'm wracking my brain to figure out whatyou actually meant to say there. 

Your listing description gives little info about the unit intself, and you have repeated the same thing re the location 2 or 3 times.

It is also showing a queen bed, soa sleeper and couch all in the one bedroom. Is that correct? 

Personally I would list the place for 2, not 4.

And your photo gallery has too many redundant outdoor shots and not enough photos of the interior. Ditch the ice cream cone and coffee photos. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Petia1   You need more photos.  I didn't see photos of the other beds listed, and you should think if you really want to cram in that many people into the condo.

I would also add more description.

Not sure what is the purpose of the ice cream cone and the other food photo?  I'd take them out.  You could replace them with maybe 3 or 4 photos of local restaurants or attractions that are in walking distance and then put the distance in time and minutes from the condo.  I'd take a couple more beach photos to make it more clear that this is 5 minutes from the beach.

As others have said, you might want to retool your listing as a romantic beach getaway and make the max guest count 2 or 3 rather than 4.  

Petia1
Level 2
North Myrtle Beach, SC

Good idea thank you 😊 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Petia1   That is one tiny condo!  Where do people sit to eat?  No microwave in kitchen, no pictures of the bedroom to give a size ... Please rethink your goals.

Petia1
Level 2
North Myrtle Beach, SC

Good morning, and thank you for your communication. This is my first time hosting with Airbnb and no I am not professional photographer. However I don’t understand how can people comment on my cozy little condo when they have never gave it a chance. 

if you do feel it is to small you are welcome to rent a different one . But why make a comment on  assumptions  and speculation of pictures. I am not good to take good photos that’s correct. Please visit my condo and then make a comment  not before. Or just rent a different one. 

thank you and greatly appreciate 

@Petia1  Perhaps you're unclear on how this works. The whole point of having a listing is that nobody should have to make "assumptions and speculation" about the home because everything they need to know should be clearly shown in the pictures and thoroughly described in the texts. If people are going to be spending their hard-earned money and entrusting you with their precious vacation time, they don't owe it to you to "give it a chance" - they want to show up knowing that you've already thought of everything and they have no unpleasant surprises ahead.

If you want to succeed in hospitality, you need to tell your ego to STFU and let you look at things from the guests' perspective. @Lorna170 posed some very normal questions that will be on guests' minds when they're trying to choose a listing - "where will we eat? Is there enough space for all of us and our stuff?"  Unless you're offering the space for free, no guest is thinking "that lady seems nice, let's put aside our hesitations and give it a chance." And enough with the self-pity about your photography skills. You're competing in a very visual platform; if you aren't even willing to put the effort in to presenting your product well for the sake of business, it's hard to be confident that you'll make any attempt to be competent at hosting.

@Petia1  Well, you asked for some reasons why your beach front condo wasn't getting booked.  A lot of hosts took their own time to review your listing in detail and give you some ideas for how to improve the listing, and that included the suggestions that your condo is too small for 4 adults.

Petia1
Level 2
North Myrtle Beach, SC

Yes you’re correct. Sorry about that. My husband made a common not  being aware that I ask a question. Lol  I am actually checking all your suggestions  and changing many things. I greatly appreciate it.

thank you 😊

Andrea4731
Level 10
West Palm Beach, FL

From your listing, I can’t tell that there is a beach view. I see 3 pictures from different angles of the pool/beach area but can’t tell if any of them are a direct view from your property. You may want to take a picture showing the window or balcony in your unit the shows the beach or include *beach view* or *ocean view* in your title/description. Also looks like your place would be more suitable for couples than a group of 4, which is fine just make it clear who your target guests would be 🙂

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Petia1  "if you do feel it is to small you are welcome to rent a different one".

You don't seem to understand that these are other hosts here trying to give you advice that will help you host successfully. There is no need to be defensive or aggressive about the advice you are being offered.

No one is criticizing your place, we are telling you how best to present it to the public so that you get guests who are clear about what they have booked and leave good reviews.

There is nothing wrong with having a small cozy place. But there is something wrong with trying to cram more people into it than can comfortably fit. That will lead to negative reviews saying the place was too small for 4, that there was nowhere for 4 guests to sit and eat together, etc.

It's far better to have a happy couple who found it perfect for the 2 of them, than 4 people who felt cramped.