My house is not allowed to receive guests consisting of men and women who are not family members

Anggara0
Level 1
South Tangerang, Indonesia

My house is not allowed to receive guests consisting of men and women who are not family members

I am a host of a house in Malang, Indonesia. My "Ketua RT" (Neighborhood Head) does not allow me to receive guests consisting of men and women who are not family members. If there are guests with both men and women, they must be accompanied by their families or there must be a married couple in the group. This rule is very depressing for me. However, so far, I have been following the rule well to avoid problems. Do other hosts also experience something like this?

1 Reply 1

Hi @Anggara0 

I’m sorry to hear that you’re dealing with such a challenging situation. It sounds like a very strict rule, and I can understand how it would feel limiting as a host.

In some areas, local customs and regulations can really influence how we manage our rentals. It’s great that you’re respecting the rules to avoid any issues with your community. While I don’t personally have this exact experience, I’ve heard from other hosts in more traditional areas who face similar challenges.

They’ve found ways to work within these rules by clearly communicating them to guests upfront and making sure to target the right kind of travelers who understand and respect these cultural norms.

Maybe connecting with other local hosts could help too—they might have advice on how to navigate this while still maintaining a successful hosting experience.

You’re not alone in this, and I hope you find some solutions that make hosting a bit easier for you. Stay strong!