Need clarity about Ontario restrictions

Chantal713
Level 2
North Bay, Canada

Need clarity about Ontario restrictions

Ontario is back under restrictions. This is the current status… what does in need of housing mean? Wouldn’t all guest require housing? I don’t know what to do.. any other Ontario hosts out there? What is your approach? We chose to close all during the pandemic and only just reopened in October so not sure what the law requires.

Short-term rentals must operate under the following conditions:

• only open to those in need of housing (does not apply to hotels, motels, lodges, resorts and other shared rental accommodation, including student residences.)
  • ice fishing huts permitted with restrictions

7 Replies 7
M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Chantal713   We are back to Stage 2.  Shutdown.

Screenshot_20220107-171220_Firefox.jpgScreenshot_20220107-171220_Firefox.jpg

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Chantal713 

You need to understand the difference between housing and rental.  Housing is more long term tenancy, whereas, STR are short limited  vactions. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much!

Liza2832
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Other share rental accommodation meaning airbnb ? confusing with the new restriction. I have 2 private rooms in my house with ongoing guests. So what next ? 

Jon279
Level 2
New Hamburg, Canada

Unfortunately I believe that the restrictions are pretty clear but both guests and hosts across the province have been looking for loopholes. Part of the problem is that STRs are being treated in a discriminatory manner in comparison to hotels, motels and other forms of accommodation.  In South Bruce Peninsula we are now licensed, required to meet safety standards, and collect taxes which I believe can work to our benefit as legitimate businesses run by small business owners.

As a result, I have messaged two Members of Provincial Parliament (my home riding and the riding where my rentals are located) to ask them to explain their justification for their decision. I would encourage others to do the same.

Jon Krys
Jon279
Level 2
New Hamburg, Canada

Update: I have been on the phone with the govt hotline and the information that I have been given is that by Friday we will be proceeding to modified Step 3 (as opposed to modified Step 2). MInd you, I am not sure what that means...

Jon Krys

Yes I called this morning myself as well. As of January 31 we are going to phase 3 which means short term rentals in Ontario may reopen. This is as long as you are in accordance with the regulations. Google “regulation 200364” to read what the regulations are. I have re-opened my calendar for January 31st yay!