Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

New Arizona licensing requirements

Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

New Arizona licensing requirements

https://azrtr.org/compliance/

AZRT- Arizonans for responsible tourism- offers information and support to help navigate the new STR regulations that vary by jurisdiction. 

Bisbee

Bullhead city

chandler

fountain hills

gilbert

glendale

goodyear

jerome

mesa

paradise valley

peoria

phoenix

scottsdale

sedona

tempe

other cities still working on their guidelines- check back 

6 Replies 6
Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

Bisbee AZ licensing effective Jan 1, 2023

https://bisbeeaz.gov/DocumentCenter/View/9939/Created-112222-Short-Term-Rental-Guide-Checklist-Ackno...

$250 fee

background checks

neighbor notification

Advertisement requirements- license # must appear on your online listing 

posting 3 feet inside door- name, phone, email of owner or manager/emergency contact

Insurance requirement- $500K minimum liability

safety inspection & equipment 

fines & three strikes you’re out rule- $500, $1000, $3500

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Dawn241 ,

Thank you for sharing this checklist and pointers for our Host members from Bisbee. 

Truly appreciate it.

Did you face any difficulties while getting your STR license or was it a smooth process for you?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

It was easy but time consuming with several steps to complete, it took about a month. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

@Dawn241 It is definitely an exhausting task at hand. I have seen many hosts have concerns about the duration it takes to get the license.

Do share some handy tips with other Hosts about what things to take care of while applying licenses, so that it goes smoothly!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

$250 fee- check wasn’t cashed until after I passed fire & safety inspection and all other steps were completed

background checks- city of bisbee said Airbnb & VRBO does this, we only have to do it if we are booking directly or using other booking platforms 

neighbor notification- my neighbors knew since we had been doing Airbnb for 6 years, but I still had to show proof- text message with a confirmation response or certified mail that was signed for

Advertisement requirements- license # must appear on your online listing - up till this year they used my SSN. I said there is no way I am posting this number online and in my house so they changed everyone’s license number as a result. 

posting 3 feet inside door- name, phone, email of owner or manager/emergency contact- we have this, however, we let all guests know all communication can only go thru Airbnb messaging app for their protection and ours (ex. Air cover claims, retaliatory reviews, canceled reservations).

Insurance requirement- $500K minimum liability- this is still required despite Airbnb providing aircover 

safety inspection & equipment - I went thru the list ahead of time and made sure we had everything and we already did- smoke detectors, CO2, fire extinguishers, central heat (no space heaters), updated electric, etc.

fines & three strikes you’re out rule- $500, $1000, $3500- I’m not taking any chances, I’ve dumbed down my rules, the definition of a guest- visitors are guests too, overnight or not, inside or out, etc, and tried to button up any loopholes that people would find to break rules. 

Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

Flagstaff STR Ordinance Approved : 

On Monday, July 3, the City of Flagstaff adopted the new short-term rental ordinance. The ordinance is set to take effect this fall with a tentative start date of Sept. 1. 

Flagstaff currently requires all short-term rentals to register with the City. Under the new code, short-term rentals will also be required to obtain a license to operate. Updates and requirements include:

• City STR licenses valid for one year from the date of issuance
  • STR owners shall apply to renew their STR license with the City and pay a license fee 
  • STR licenses are not transferrable
  • Owners shall maintain current and accurate information on the City's online STR portal
  • Listing/signage requirements
  • Prohibited uses of short-term rentals 
  • Neighbor notification