New Hosts NOT getting paid for 30 days!

Alejandro200
Level 1
Santa Barbara, CA

New Hosts NOT getting paid for 30 days!

I am shocked to find that now Airbnb is holding host payouts for 30 days!! This is a new term that make no sense to me. How can Airbnb think that host can operate for 30 days wihout payout specially after initial investment in furniture, cleaning supplies, amenities, decoration, toiletries, etc... This is very bad business practice in my opinion, and makes no sense to me....

I have refered many hosts in the past becuase I had great experience and because I would get paid 24 hours after booking completed, but now this experience is shattered with this non sense..

Anybody outhere think this is fair?

63 Replies 63

@Andrew627 I provided the link because some people did not know *what* the policy was.

As to *why* they have the policy, it is to combat credit card fraud.

Here is a link that explains what they are trying to prevent:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/inside-airbnbs-russian-money-laundering-problem

Andrew627
Level 2
Brisbane City, Australia

@Matthew0 in San Francisco.  That explanation is trifle.  My first guests are here.  They have a history with excellent feedback.  We have both fulfilled our part of the agreement.  I was not aware of the 30 days until after this first booking was made.  I will follow this issue closely and expect it will bite AirBNB in the ass!

@Andrew627 you are free to do what you want and to believe what you want!

You are also free to use whatever short term rental platform you want.

There are many other platforms besides AirBnB, and the other platforms' payment policies vary, so I imagine you can find one that fits your needs.

Or you can continue to use AirBnB *and* the other booking services. You have complete freedom.

I wish you great success with your hosting!

Andrew627
Level 2
Brisbane City, Australia

Are you aware of any reason why Airbnb doesn't explain that themselves?

@Andrew627 I really don't know. I am just a host, like yourself.

I was just trying to provide information, because it sounded like a lot of people didn't see any reason.

You can ask them, I suppose?

And do express your opinion to them regarding how you feel about it; if enough new hosts protest maybe they will consider changing the policy.

Andrew627
Level 2
Brisbane City, Australia

@Matthew0.  Are you an Airbnb employee?  I am aware of my options thanks.  

@Andrew627, no I am just a host.

I'm even relatively new myself. Only been hosting since September? October? Something like that.

I think the policy is relatively new, because they did not have it when I started.

Andrew627
Level 2
Brisbane City, Australia

I think Airbnb should make these assertions clear on their website if in fact they are correct

@Andrew627, I think AirBnB is doing a poor job of communicating that this new policy even exists.

You are far from the only host to be surprised by it. AirBnB needs to do a better job of explaining that the policy will apply to new hosts. That is step one.

And yes, they do owe all the new hosts an explanation as to why they do it. That is step two.

AirBnB clearly got along without the policy up to now. Why the change?

There just cash-flowing thier operations. Simple as that.

Absolutely I’m floored !

Andrew627
Level 2
Brisbane City, Australia

Thanks for the feedback all

Maria1765
Level 2
Chicago, IL

I set up my parent's listing so that hey could have some income, while I was setting it up, it never came up that they were holding payments for 30 days from the first booking. They got 4 inquiries and they decided to start hosting, before the first guest arrived they got an email saying that payment for this guest was going to be released in 30 days, they were outraged because they had spent money on sheets and decorations for the room, they asked me to call and cancel all the bookings and when I tried to do so, Airbnb said I was subject to a $100 fine for cancelling, but a lady named AMBER  who identified herself as the Manager said the only payment being held was the one for the first booking and all the others would be paid in 24 hours, I took her word and of course...it was a lie. I called again today and they say I was misinformed and that all the bookings were going to be paid after the 25th. Is there a place were I could complain about Airbnb and its practices? Holding money seems vert shady to me. My parents hosted, got an awesome review from the guest so they should get their money. Holding money in order to avoid fraud doesn't make much sense to me. 

They've lied to us too.  I've informed them that ALL contact is to be through messaging so it's in writing and they can't lie to us again.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Of course it is financially advantageous for airbnb to hold $ for as long as possible but in the case of new hosts, I think it has some sense to it. Airbnb does not have agents who go around inspecting new listings. So a new host could be just some 19 year old who is subletting a room in their apartment without the landlord's permission, it could be some totally unacceptable grotty dump, the host could be some sketchy scary weirdo, etc, etc. It makes sense for the guests payment to be held in case the guest arrives to find something like this, in which case the guest would notify airbnb.

Disappointing for new responsible hosts with lovely listings, to be sure, but c'est la vie.

And hosts really shouldn't invest in preparing a new listing if their finances are such that they are going to be severely impacted financially if they don't get booking payments immediately. If you can't really afford to buy new sheets and towels, how's it going to work out when a guest breaks something essential and airbnb refuses to cover the damage because you can't "prove" that the guest did it (a common scenario).