Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

New owner of existing Airbnb

Lyndsey58
Level 1
Sonoma, CA

New owner of existing Airbnb

I am under contract for an existing Airbnb property that has 4.99 rating with over 100 reviews. From what I've read you can not transfer the reviews when you create your new listing as the host. What do you suggest I do so guests can know that the listing has a great track record even though in the beginning my listing with have very few reviews. Thanks!

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

I wouldn't worry about it too much about its previous reputation -  you weren't hosting it @Lyndsey58 

What guests will want to know is what you're like as a host and amenities and location of the property . 

did you look at supply and demand before you bought ... many markets are oversaturated. 

@Lyndsey58. Great question Lyndsey. I guess it depends on whether you intend to change it much. For example, does it have a strong brand name that can be searched online outside of Airbnb; if so did you make that a condition of sale?. Keeping same facilities, pricing? Will you buy the furniture or do your own thing?

If you think it has a commercial value (even if you dont pay for it) and you want to lean into the fact that it has been operating as an Airbnb then you can mention this in the description. This might be a comfort to those wanting to book further ahead, of your plans. Just watch guest expectations.

Also, are sellers going to operate another Airbnb as these ratings will go with them and if they pop up locally could be seen as you are borrowing from someone else's hosting reputation.

Otherwise opt for a fresh start. Good luck and welcome.

Hi @Lyndsey58 ,

When taking over an Airbnb property with a stellar reputation, but not being able to transfer reviews, here's how you can approach it:

1. Leverage the Listing Description: Clearly mention in the listing title or description that this property has a history of excellent reviews under previous management. Use phrases like “Previously a 4.99-star rated property with 100+ glowing reviews" to establish trust.

2. Owner Transition Explanation: In the "About this space" or "Guest access" section, briefly explain the transition, ensuring potential guests know the property’s high standards remain unchanged. You can say something like, “Recently under new management, but the same top-tier guest experience!”

3. Photos of Reviews: If possible, include screenshots or images of the top reviews (without violating privacy) as part of your listing photos. This helps guests see what previous guests have said about the property.

4. First Reviews Strategy: Offer early guests incentives like a small discount, extra amenities, or special experiences to encourage more bookings and quick reviews.

5. Superhost Badge: If you are a Superhost, prominently display that badge. This will instill confidence, especially since guests will know you have a proven track record as a great host.

These strategies will help bridge the gap and give you a strong start with the new listing.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Upfish Management

Cheri354
Level 10
Helena-West Helena, AR

@Lyndsey58 The issue is the Listing doesn't have a great track record, it's the Hosts that did. The reviews are attached to the host and not the house. This means you will need to treat this like the new listing that it is 🙂

We all start out as new with zero reviews so that's a 'level playing field'.

Post fun, lovely photos highlighting amenities of the property and some that show inviting decor and room set-ups. Let the house speak for itself.

Write out user-friendly House Rules and a good description to draw guests in.

Part of the review system does rate about the house/accommodations/amenities so make sure everything's clean, things are easy to find or there are signs to explain how to use the A/C, maps to local fun spots/eateries, etc. Then you'll also be reviewed: how attentive you are, friendliness, helpful if needed, noisy (or not), easy to understand, respond quickly to messages, etc.

Best wishes~