Palm Desert Changing Zoning Rules/Bedrooms

Carrie557
Level 1
San Clemente, CA

Palm Desert Changing Zoning Rules/Bedrooms

I went to renew my STR license with the city of Palm Desert and they wouldn’t renew it unless I removed one of my bedrooms from my listing. I purchased a three bedroom condo 2+ years ago and have received an STR license from the city of Palm Desert for the last two years for a three bedroom. Now, suddenly I’m being told my 3rd bedroom can no longer be considered a bedroom. There are 800 other condos in my complex that have the same layout. My type of unit is currently being advertised and sold as a three bedroom condo. Long term rentals can advertise and rent my unit as a 3 bedroom. However STR’s are not allowed to advertise as a 3 bedroom? This makes no sense. I’ve been told that I can only advertise it as a two bedroom that sleeps 4. If I advertise it as a three bedroom that sleeps six I could be fined and lose my license. And if I don’t pay the fine, I could have a lien put against my home. Is anyone else having this issue? How is this legal? It’s discrimination. 

1 Reply 1
Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

@Dawn241 Airbnb rule is 2 people per bedroom and 2 more in a common area like a living room. It is also my understanding the local jurisdiction laws trump the airbnb guidelines.