Partial Refund-Looking for Opinions

Georgia310
Level 2
Whitehouse, TX

Partial Refund-Looking for Opinions

We do not allow bookings within 24 hrs unless we approve them.  (We are new and managing ourselves so just keeping a tight rope for now.)  I had a request for one night and she let me know it was because her mom was in the hospital and our home is two blocks away.  We approved the request for the next day (Tuesday check-in) and immediately went over and got the house ready (Scheduled to clean the following morning).  The next day she added one night and we approved.  We had discussed only two nights were possible as we have an existing reservation beginning Thursday.  She cancelled the second night today as her mom was moved to hospice.  She requested a partial refund in the event we are able to rent the house tonight.  She checked out at 1:45 (normal check-out is 11 am), cleaning is scheduled for tomorrow morning, I can't get there until after 5 today so not possible to rent today.  I am sympathetic about the situation but here are my misgivings for sending a partial refund:  went out of our way to get house ready for four people, the owner of the AirBNB account was not noted on the Ring doorbell so I don't love they were using someone else's account, they brought a small dog even though we have a No Pet Policy that is listed twice under House Rules and framed with our House rules inside the home.  I would just love some of your opinions.  We have had two other requests that were less than 24 hours in advance that we made happen only to have them not follow through with booking so I fell like the 24 hour window is safe and something we will really enforce now.

7 Replies 7
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Georgia310 You are certainly free to agree to refund if you are able to rebook, but there is no obligation to follow through, regardless. The guest is not privvy to the state of your calendar.

Short notice bookings just tend to be problematic, period. That's already been proven to you. I would recommend you save yourself the grief and hassle and raise your minimum notice. Then stick to it. Min 2 days is best.

Third party bookings are problematic as well. You are under no obligation to grant entry to people who show up without the guest who booked. Communicate thoroughly before accepting a booking, to detect third party bookings, and other red flags.

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/427/booking-for-friends-and-family

Thank you for commenting and your insight!  I was concerned the 2 day booking would be a deterrent.  Have you found it to not be? 

@Georgia310 But you don't want those short notice, often trouble making, payout draining bookings anyway. Truly, you don't.

That is so true.  Thank you for your help.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Georgia310  Sometimes it might take 14 days to determine if a refund will be offered.  Sometimes after 14 days people who abused your hospitality won't be getting one. 

Thank you!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Georgia310  Aside from hosts whose bread and butter is last minute bookings, like thosee who are right near an airport, getting booking from guests with unexpected layovers, overbooked flights, etc, there is really little reason to accept, and a lot of risk associated with, last minute bookings. 

I have always required 1-2 days advance notice and a minimum 3 night booking.