Penalty for selling our home?

Eileen58
Level 4
Fayetteville, AR

Penalty for selling our home?

I am trying to understand if I will be penalized for cancelling future guests - IF we sell our home. Currently, I have my calendar closed after June as I learn what to do. We may put our place on the market in early June. If we don't get a good offer, we will wait another year. I'd like to keep my calendar open just in case. Maybe close it for July but have it open August forward? That way, it will give guests time to find another place. What is the Airbnb policy on this? I'm thinking, after it sells, to stop hosting as some of the hosting stories involving Airbnb support has me very concerned. Any advice would be appreciated. @moderators

6 Replies 6
Tara0
Level 10
Oxford, United Kingdom

Hosts cancelling bookings is the kiss of death. *Never, ever cancel* unless the house has burnt down or something similar. You will otherwise be heavily penalised by Airbnb and the best you could hope for is to be at the bottom of search results for years to come. 

I was in a similar situation planning to sell my previous Airbnb. I kept the calendar open only three months ahead, as that's about the length of time it takes to conduct a sale in the UK. 

HI Tara0, 

my question is: can they fine me if i no longer wish to host in the future? I'm pretty confused. 

Tara0
Level 10
Oxford, United Kingdom
Tara0
Level 10
Oxford, United Kingdom

"Cancellation fees

We will impose fees subject to a minimum cancellation fee of $50 USD and a maximum cancellation fee of $1,000 USD. The fee is based on the reservation amount and when the reservation is canceled"

Tara0
Level 10
Oxford, United Kingdom

Yes, they can fine you regardless of your future intentions. You have a contract with Airbnb which applies to any bookings you take via the platform. 

Thanks for the info Tara0. I will keep my calendar closed until I know what we plan to do.