Personal additional income from Airbnb activity on a student visa (UK).

Answered!

Personal additional income from Airbnb activity on a student visa (UK).

I have a query regarding renting out in London, UK, while on a student visa. I am permitted to work 20 hours on my visa, or 40 hours during the summer. I've found out that students are not permitted to participate in any business activities. Is it legal for me to work as an Airbnb host and receive personal additional income on my visa type? If so, are there any limitations, such as whether I can earn more than £12,570? Thanks!

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Filipp394 I would talk to an immigration lawyer rather than ask here. All I can tell you is that Airbnb rentals of whole properties are counted as running a business so if that is not allowed the short term rental is not allowed.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Filipp394 I would talk to an immigration lawyer rather than ask here. All I can tell you is that Airbnb rentals of whole properties are counted as running a business so if that is not allowed the short term rental is not allowed.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

letting out accommodation as a short term rental is running a business so I think you have time answer @Filipp394

but the good news is there's lots of work in London for students so you shouldn't have a problem getting part time work.  

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Filipp394 Welcome to our Community Center,

Your question is really interesting and could be helpful for many people who are studying abroad on a student visa. As @Mike-And-Jane0 mentioned, a good starting point would be to talk to an immigration office.

We would really appreciate it if you could share what you end up finding out here in our community. It could be very helpful for others who may have the same question.

Paula

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad