Portland Oregon City Rules/ Regulations

Sorcha3
Level 3
Portland, OR

Portland Oregon City Rules/ Regulations

Hi, 

I host and cohost multiple listings in Portland Oregon. Recently the App has been notifying me that listings which do not require an STR Permit to host because they're currently used as 30+ day stays need registering. I use short and mid term strategies with my listings and this time of year it's pretty much all mid term. 

I am struggling with how to navigate advising clients and other local hosts who've reached out because the in app instructions are unclear, limited options and frankly poorly thought through. I've attempted to reach out to customer service with 0 help. I just want to make sure I am documenting things properly so my listings don't get shut down (which is what the app says will happen if we don't register listings by 1/15/24... BUT HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO REGISTER LISTINGS THAT ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE REGISTERED DUE TO LENGTH OF STAY? HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO PUT IN A LICENSE NUMBER THE CITY HASN'T ASSIGNED YET?

Support has been 0 help because I just don't think at the contact center level they have the bandwidth or frankly information to identify and advise on individual city guidelines. I need help getting in touch with the outreach or community manager for the Portland Metro area. 

1 Reply 1

Hi @Sorcha3 

As more and more restrictions are placed on Short Term Rentals (STRs) by local governmental agencies, issues for Hosts who fall under these restrictions are appearing. Airbnb will have to change platform functionality to account for all these new restrictions in order to enable Hosts to comply with them…a big task!

Many Hosts are beginning to see problems with how to show they meet a minimum stay requirement (30days most often) and how to indicate that on the listing. Some have had issues with a guest trying to extend a stay of 30days using a reservation alteration (calendar blocked even though within guidelines) etc. See thread links below:

Long Term Extension Dates Blocked

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Support-with-your-bookings/Long-Term-extension-dates-blocked-out...

Converting to 29 night minimum vs daily rate with monthly discount

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Ask-about-your-listing/Converting-to-29-night-mimimum-vs-daily-r...

Maybe some of the moderators (@Bhumika, @Paula, @Rebecca, @Breanna, @Quincy ) can pass this along to the appropriate Airbnb Team to address these problems? I fear we will be seeing more and more of these issues cropping up with the “rush to restrict STRs” in many jurisdictions.