Price Tips vs Smart Pricing

Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

Price Tips vs Smart Pricing

I just went in to make some changes to my 2023 calendar pricing, and noticed something called "Smart Tips." Is this different from "Smart Pricing"? In the past, smart pricing didn't seem too smart, as I was consistently getting way more per night than was suggested. But when I looked at "smart tips," I though they were pretty accurate, in fact, a few dollars more per night than I was going to charge, and accurately increased pricing for big weekends in my area 

What is your experience? Also - if I accept the price tip - will that nightly number change over time as demand goes up and down? Or will the amounts I choose tonight remain the same unless I change it manually?

4 Replies 4
Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Jude7 

I must admit I haven't looked at it for a long time their prices where way off for us, 

If I remember rightly you could set a minimum and a maximum and it would fluctuate between,

Where they get their data from did not suit Thailand, as our peak season is DEC/JAN 

It seems airbnb have some new strategies I was about to read a new article I received this morning so make sure you follow me I maybe post it tomorrow.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jude7 I am not sure how price tips compare to smart pricing. Smart pricing is still dumb as we achieve well over its suggestions and it actually suggests prices that would be below our variable cost of hosting.

Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

I have been a super host for many years, stopped hosting during Covid, and have recently put my space back on the market. I also avoided smart pricing from the very beginning, because the pricing was ridiculous, way less than what I knew I could get. But this time when I went to update my calendar I saw something in addition called smart tips. I thought they were spot on, and actually a few dollars higher than what I was going to charge, and gave proper credit for prime weekends in my area with  even higher nightly rates. Wondering if “smart tips” and “smart pricing” are the same thing? And once I accept the smart tips, are they going to dynamically change, as I believe smart pricing changes in response to demand. 

I also posted this question on a local Facebook group, and no one there seems to know about smart tips either. They’re all referring to the smart pricing, which I believe is different. Is it something new?

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Jude7 smart tip has been on my calendar for about 6 months. What I understand is that this is the price in your local area for that night or weekend. I don't have smart prices switched on.

AIso on Airbnb page Reservation down the bottom with boxes, today  inbox,calendar  insights  menu.

Under insights  look for occupancy & rates. It gives rating review,  then region  it goes to local area. Then down the bottom it has nightly rate and it says for me that it is  up $1.95 above mine for similar accommodation. So I think I am close to being spot on with pricing.