Taxes and expenses on glamping pods in the UK

Answered!
Martin4106
Level 1
Drumnadrochit, United Kingdom

Taxes and expenses on glamping pods in the UK

Hope this is ok to post.

we are looking at putting two glamping pods on our land for additional income. 
I retired a few months back so this is my project to help with a little extra income. 
we have the money to pay for the purchase and set up etc but I’m unsure about tax payments, expenses etc on the income. 

can anyone advise the best place to gather all the information I will require. 

thanks

Martin 

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Martin4106 gov.uk is a very useful resource although I do not know which aspects of tax are devolved. I think it is only income tax rates. Look up Furnished Holiday Let rules - In simple terms if you can meet this threshold then you can allocate the income between you and your partner to maximise your tax free allowance.

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Martin4106 gov.uk is a very useful resource although I do not know which aspects of tax are devolved. I think it is only income tax rates. Look up Furnished Holiday Let rules - In simple terms if you can meet this threshold then you can allocate the income between you and your partner to maximise your tax free allowance.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Look on the HMRC website for a list of allowable expenses. But in your situation it's probably worth employing an accountant - at least for the first year to help you understand how best to structure your business so that it is tax efficient and you are claiming all allowable expenses.