Taxes

Kelly1470
Level 2
Bowie, MD

Taxes

Airbnb has been collecting taxes in bulk and paying my city directly and the state. Unfortunately the city advised that they did not receive anything from Airbnb and I was forced to repay the taxed out of pocket. I've spent hours on hold with Airbnb trying to get them to show some type of proof that the taxes have already been paid for my property.

Is there a tax department or contact info someone can suggest? I keep getting told they are referring me to a specialized department but they dont give any names. Has anyone else had this issue?

The city of Huntsville AL is saying Airbnb will have to provide some type of proof that part of the bulk payment that was sent it was paid on my behalf and provide the address.

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kelly1470 I suggest you try to get a copy of the agreement between your city and Airbnb. Is there a freedom of information law in Alabama? If so I would use it. To my knowledge Airbnb does not break down the payments they make when they pay taxes so you are unlikely to get proof from them it has been paid on your property.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Kelly1470  You are not going to get anything from AirBnB regarding the payment of your taxes.

If this had happened to me, I would have printed out all of the information regarding my reservations showing that the guests were taxed, that the taxes were withheld by AirBnB, NOT paid to me for remittance, and purportedly paid by AirBnB.  If this documentation was unacceptable to the local tax office, I would have hired a lawyer to protect me from being penalized by the tax office and requesting clarification of their agreement with AirBnB.

My lawyer and my tax accountant recommended that I file the monthly, quarterly and yearly tax returns due to my municipality, County and State with the income generated by my property and stating that no taxes were owed by me as they were collected and paid by AirBnB.