Terrible Short Term Rental ordinance in Newport News, VA coming to a vote Tuesday June 28th

Greg1862
Level 2
Yorktown, VA

Terrible Short Term Rental ordinance in Newport News, VA coming to a vote Tuesday June 28th

Limiting Short Term Rentals severely, here's just a snippet of the text:

(1) A short-term rental shall only be allowed in the following manner:
a. Single-family and multiple-family dwelling units.
1. The dwelling unit is used by the property owner as his/her primary residence, which means that he/she resides there for at least one hundred eighty-five days during each year;
2. The dwelling unit and any bedroom(s) rented to overnight lodgers shall be within the main building of the dwelling unit that the owner occupies as his/her primary residence and shall not be in a detached accessory building;

This will kill AirBnB in my city!!

Getting people together to attend the public hearing on June 28th, if this ordinance would affect you and your rentals in Newport News feel free to reach out to me for more information.

1 Reply 1
Annie1372
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

@Greg1862 

i fully understand your concerns as the laws have in Quebec 2 years ago related with STR and it made it very difficult for many of us on top of the fines $$ that many received for breaking the law.

as The CC is international. You will have a better chance of finding people if you area to gather together around this matter by visiting your local Host Clubs. 😊https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Discussions-locales/ct-p/en_clubs

Good luck

Annie